need help with Interesting activation or hactivation

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rtztgue, Nov 8, 2008.

1. rtztgue macrumors regular

okay lets run through this. I have an iphone 3g activated and working on at&t. I also have 8 other at&t lines with various plans. I know that if i take one of my sims (the sims are 3g, not not in ipones) from any of my phones and put it in my 3g iphone the iphone works great. I can call the phone number for the sim in the phone and it makes and receives call, shows the right caller ids etc. basically at&t has no idea the phone is an iphone with a different sim. This works even with my $10.00 a month plans. Its kinda cool.

So, I just bought a used 2g. I want to activate it, throw in a sim from one of my other phones (NOT my 3g iphone). and get it to work. The 2g powers up and gives the itunes connection pic. Itunes wants to activate it no problem. BUT the challenge i have is that I get to a screen about monthly plans and billing etc. Basically I think at&t will activate it and change my plan. Now if i throw in my sim from my activated iphone it asks if i want to replace my 3g iphone with the current iphone and then still gives me the data plans with at&t...... yadayadayada....

I have no idea of the 2g firmware, I cannot seem to update or access it because itunes only wants to activate it, i have tried quickpawn but it only wants to jailbreak.

running windows xp. Any ideas????

2. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

You need to unlock it first.

Run QuickPwn, and make sure you DON'T check the activate box.

***Edit***

I just noticed that you say that you tried QuickPwn, and there was no option for unlocking... Are you sure? Maybe that is missing in the Windows version.

In that case, try PwnageTool.

3. rtztgue thread starter macrumors regular

well the challenge with quickpawn is I need to know the firmware version and have the file on my computer. Is there a way to determine the firmware version of the iphone? The only screen I get is the activate screen on the iphone, and i can make an emergency call if needed. I probably dont have that firmware on my computer, but I should be able to find it somewhere and d/l it.

as far as unlocking. the version of quickpawn that i have is for windows(obviously), but it is the newest version that i used to jailbreak my 3g with 2.1

I suppose I could d/l winpawn. I know the previous versions of that will work with the 2g. I did not even think about that just because i had to get quickpawn for my 3g.