Need help with IP address etc

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jdaniel, Nov 28, 2013.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

hi guys so I was previously connecting my ATV via wifi which worked fine.. but I do not think it was using my VPN properly.. so I have VPN connected on my mac and I connect my ATV to my mac (thunderbolt display ethernet) using internet sharing and this is the recommended way to use ATV with VPN.... now previously to this I was using internet sharing with my ATV with no issues.. now it isnt working.. I need someone versed in IP address settings to help me out.. so I have my mac on a static ip 192.168.1.222, I set my display ethernet to static ip too which iw 192.168.1.223.. so what happens to my atv?

I have plex so the dns servers always need to come back to the mac..so it will run the plex stuff...

so my apple tv I should put it to static too right? so I set 192.168.1.224 and subnet is the usual with the rest but something is not right...it doesnt seem to connect to the net

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Haven't used VPN for a while but giving it a stab...

So the reason for using VPN is so that Netflix whatever thinks you are state-side right. OK.

And the reason for tethering through the Mac is because you are building a VPN tunnel between the MAc and the state-side proxy. Still on track?

Now can your Mac access those Netflix whatever resources? If YES, then you have to duplicate the Mac's IP gateway and DNS on the ATV.

The Gateway setting is = "This is the door to the Internet."

The DNS setting is = "Resolve DNS lookup through this server."

3. tvguy macrumors member

tvguy

4. jdaniel, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Need help with IP address etc

Sorry for the delay I just basically gave up and went back to wifi but that works for a while then doesn't u need a fall back...

Duplicate the macs ip date way, wat does that mean, there are few ways to set the network on the Apple TV, I was trying to set static ip but somehow that doesn't seem to work properly, it worked then it stopped,

Now dns is rather complicated I have to point to my mac which I set to a static ip (works fine on the mac) because I am using plex and that's the way it works u point to the mac which the points to my dns service or my VPN whichever I use which let's the service thinks I am in the states.

Yesterday everything was working fine then for the strangest it stopped, won't connect via wifi won't connect via Ethernet , I was using status ip for my atv I set it to 192.168.1.224 but then it just stopped working... I really have no idea why it would work then not, doesn't make sense.

Also my real question is with the tb display the shared connection, if I set a static up for that do I set the dns to the dns hiding service or to my mac, because the atv still needs to work with plex which is on my mac so I think the dns needs to be set to my mac ip I am even confusing myself here