Need help with iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rdhc1330, Mar 6, 2011.

1. rdhc1330 macrumors newbie

So, I've seen this being posted round a lot of places but none seem to give me the answer I need, so here goes:

I have an iPhone 3G, I updated it to Baseband 6.15.00 in order to JB it on iOS 4.2.1. After this happened, the iPhone became very very slow and GPS didn't work. So I decided to try and revert the iPhone to 3.1.3 software but seem to have done a lot more damage than I had thought could happen...

I need some help to at least turn the iPhone back on so it works, any fix will do for now. I have tinyumbrella which informs me my FW version is 3.1.3, and the installed BB version is 06.15.00-5.9_M3S2.

Basically, I have tried restoring it to 4.2.1 just through iTunes, I have downloaded a custom FW 4.1 which I am going to try and install through iTunes, but the iPhone has to go into DFU mode first which is appearing to be a problem on my phone also because it is stuck in recovery mode even if I purge it out with tinyumbrella.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I am new to this, but my question is, Do you have a backup with 4.1 or anything BEFORE the jailbreak? If yes, plug it in and restore from backup? I'm sure more people will respond but worth a try.

3. rdhc1330 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the SHSH that tinyumbrella seems to have picked up, but no luck reverting to that 4.1.

4. rdhc1330 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so an update:

I read around a little further and found that maybe if I downgrade to 3.1.2 I can get it working, well I tried it, downloading the official ISPW for 3.1.2 and then purged it out of recovery mode, and now the iPhone is on an emergency screen, so the phone is not usable but it is a step closer, any ideas what to do from here?
    :confused:

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Use blackra1n or redsn0w 0.9.4 to jailbreak it.

6. rdhc1330 thread starter macrumors newbie

FIX - Kind Of

OK I have fixed it,

I'm going to give people a fix, not that they might want to do what I have done, but I suggest it as a fix for now. This is for an iPhone 3G, locked to O2 network but this fixes that and makes it open to any network.

So,

1) Downgrade your slow and **** 3G running 4.2.1 to 3.1.2 Official ISPW using this link - http://www.iphone-hacks.com/iphone-downloads/file/216.

2) Plug in your iPhone and click on it. "shift-click" restore and choose the 3.1.2 ISPW you just downloaded. During this process at some point you will get an error of the "10xx" variety. Just skip it and wait until the iPhone turns on again, probably in either emergency mode (step 4) or it may be in recovery mode (skip to step 5).

3) Download the whited00r CFW from http://www.multiupload.com/04JG6TZGRF.

4) If your phone is in emergency mode then download a tool called tinyumbrella from this link - http://cache.firmwareumbrella.com/downloads/tinyumbrella-4.21.14.exe , plug the iPhone in and then force the iphone into recovery mode using tinyumbrella.

5) Once the phone is in recovery mode, open itunes and then "shift-click" restore and then use the whitedoor CFW file. When that has installed you should have an up and running iPhone 3G with software 3.1.3 that looks like 4.x software and contains many of the features that come with it. The CFW also includes Cydia and ultrasn0w so the phone is jailbroken and unlocked making it available to be used on any network.

Hope this helps a lot of people,

I know how frustrating it is to be locked to the 6.15.00 BB, and how slow it is on 4.2.1! So hopefully you consider this temporary fix a good one as it still works like 4.x, runs a lot faster and GPS is working on my iPhone. Until they bring out a way to undo the iPad baseband, I wish you good luck!

7. xpliciitone macrumors newbie

hi rdhc1330,
    your reply was really helpful, but the link for the installation of whited00r isnt working.. my situation is exactly the same as described in this thread, and im so close yet so far ! |:C can you please tell me if you used a specific version of whited00r? i really am not sure of what and where to download it..

8. bonchien macrumors newbie

Can anyone comment on whether this really fixes GPS or only allows cell tower and wifi triangulation? If it fixed your GPS, which whited00r firmware is being referenced for this fix?

9. rdhc1330 thread starter macrumors newbie

4.2.1 CFW whited00r

10. bonchien macrumors newbie

Okay, but the other question is whether GPS is really working or is your iPhone only triangulating using cell towers and wifi? Maps will triangulate your position if it doesn't have a GPS signal. Can you try a navigation app like TomTom, iGo or the free Skobbler iPhone navigation app and see if your iPhone's GPS is really working?

Everything I've read says that the iPhone GPS chip is not compatible with baseband 06.15.00. I would like to believe that there's some method for getting GPS working on 06.15.00, but I would hate to go through all these steps just to find out that GPS still doesn't work.

11. bonchien macrumors newbie

GPS still not working after whited00r 4.3.1

I did all the downgrade steps to get my iPhone 3G onto the most recent unlocked whited00r 4.3.1 build that uses iOS 3.1.3 firmware. GPS is still not working. The phone will triangulate cell phone towers, but not no longer triangulates wifi signals like it did on iOS 4.2.1. The phone's a little faster opening and closing apps, but location services have gotten worse since it's only locating me to within a few miles instead of 100 meters.

12. robandjeanne macrumors newbie

No wifi after ios4 upgrade iphone 3gs

Hi. I just agreed to buy a relatives iphone 3gs for $150. Then I started reading about many owners losing wifi when updating either their iphone 3g or 3gs to ios 4 and beyond. I haven’t heard there is any solution to this problem, and it seems strange that Apple’s itunes would encourage updating the ios (which it always does) to one that would kill the wifi and make the iphone pretty much useless. Since I want to run ios4 to get Netflix and Talkatone apps, maybe i should just turn around and sell this iphone on ebay and not take a chance on the upgrade.

13. bonchien macrumors newbie

I think the issue experienced by most users is that GPS doesn't work if the baseband is updated to the iPad baseband 06.15.00. I haven't heard of any issues with wifi, and wifi works fine on my 3G. If you are using an official carrier, like AT&T, you can upgrade the firmware at your leisure. If you want to unlock and jailbreak the iPhone but want GPS functioning, I would strongly advise staying away from the iPad baseband. Either wait for a better method or don't jailbreak the phone since there's not a fix for the GPS issue and there hasn't been for months.