Need help with iphone 4 micro SIMs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jurmajesty, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Jurmajesty macrumors newbie

Hello,

I need somewhat specific advise on finding/buying the best prepaid micro SIM cards in different european countries. I'm going on a business trip to the UK, France, Spain, Italy, and Germany and I need to find out who offers prepaid micro SIM cards and the best price for the voice/data plans.

I've been having so much trouble because other than english I don't speak any of the other languages so finding information has been really difficult.

So far what I know is that:

In the UK, O2 and T-mobile offer prepaid micro SIMs with voice and data (ok no problem).

Germany has two major providers - Blau, and Simyo who offer micro SIM prepaid plans at about 13-15 euros with voice/data plans.

The problems are France, Italy, and Spain. Who offers them, what kind of plan are we talking about, and how much is it.

I know this is kind of a large and broad question but I think the people on this website are really helpful and more resourceful about these kinds of things.

I'd be really appreciative for whatever help you can provide.

Thanks in advance.

2. awm037 macrumors newbie

This is a good site to get started with.
    Also try opening the sites in Chrome and have it automatically translate the page.

For the UK, I would recommend going with Three.
    On Three, you pay £15 for the micro-sim and it includes 300 minutes/3000 texts/Unlimited data.​
    With O2, it's £16.50 for 100 minutes/500 texts/500 MB.​
    With T-Mobile, it's £15 (£5 card + £10 top-up) for 100 minutes or unlimited texts/500 MB.​
    On Orange, it's £25 (£15 card + £10 top-up), but I'm not sure about their plans.​
    I've used both Three and O2 and had nearly full 3G reception with Three no matter where I went, while I had much worse (plus EDGE/GPRS) coverage with O2.

For France, there's Orange, SFR, and Bouygues.
    Orange: (the wiki has quite a bit about Orange) Here is the page for their prices.
    For data, they have 1 month unlimited for 9€, 1 week unlimited for 7€, weekend unlimited for 5€, and daily unlimited for 3€.​
    For voice, they have unlimited daytime (7:00 am - 5:00 pm) for 3€, unlimited nighttime (9:00 pm - Midnight) for 3€, or weekend unlimited for 10€.​
    SFR: For 25€, you get 60 minutes/Unlimited texts/200 MB. (You can get 250 MB extra for 5€)
    Bouygues: I couldn't get around their site

For Italy, I found Tre (3), TIM, and Vodafone
    Tre:
    With the Super Internet plan, you pay 5€ and get 3 GB per month (actually 100 MB/day).​
    They also have the Naviga 3 plan where you either pay 9€ for 50 MB/day for 30 days or 3€ for 100 MB/day for a week.​
    For voice, I found this. I don't think that you get all of those things for 5€/month, but you could just get the 10 hours/day plan.​
    TIM:
    I found this which gives you data for a week; according to the PAYG wiki, it's 250 MB.​
    If you're under 30, you could try this where you get 1 GB data and 1000 texts for 6€.​
    For voice, I found two plans. The first is 7€/week for 120 minutes and the second is 4€/week for 60 minutes.​
    Vodafone:
    The first option I found was this, which gives 100 minutes/100 texts/250 MB for 19€.​
    On this page, they have 250 MB/week for 3€ or 1 GB/month for 10€.​
    They also have this where you get 2 GB/week for 8€ and you can use VOIP.​
    For individual voice plans, they have the Tutti 100 which is 9€/month for 100 minutes and they have the Tutti 250 which is 19€/month for 250 minutes.​

For Spain, I found Movistar, Vodafone, and Orange.
    Movistar:
    On this page, under "Tarifas de internet", they have unlimited data but with different throttling rates. For 15€/month you get 200 MB before throttling, for 25€/month you get 1 GB before throttling, and for 39€/month you get 5 GB before throttling.​
    On this page, they have 500 minutes for 9€/month.​
    Vodafone:
    This is all I could find for voice, but none of them looked very good.​
    Orange: These are the rates they have
    The Dolphin 20 gives you 300 minutes and unlimited data for 20€, but it throttles after 100 MB.​
    The Dolphin 32 gives you 700 minutes and unlimited data for 32€, but it throttles after 300 MB.​
    The Dolphin 40 gives you 500 minutes and unlimited data for 40€, but it throttles after 500 MB. This plan also mentions something about 24 hours without limits, but I don't get what it means.​