Need help with ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by golf pro, Mar 13, 2008.

1. golf pro macrumors member

I have just bought a ipod touch and i have been looking at jail breaking it, it looks simple but i have a few questions. I want to know is it safe, what can go wrong and is it fix able. 2-how much memory does it take up on the ipod. 3.will it work with version 1.1.4. 4-What are some of the apps and is it worth it? and 4. will it work on the 8gb cause thats all i can afford right now.

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

It is safe, you CANNOT brick it (ispaz's thread is no good, he managed to fix it)
    Memory, there is a space limit, my "other" is a little over 100mb
    Yes, it will work with 1.1.4. (depends on meathod, see end of post)
    It would be pages to list out all the apps, SOOOO worth it
    Yes, it works on all models, i have a 8Gig

Meathods:
    Ziphone: One click jailbreak, best, may get BSD error
    DEV: longest, requires downgrading to 1.1.1, and itunes 7.5

Hope it helps

3. golf pro thread starter macrumors member

Thx but can anyone else tell me if i can only get a few apps like i saw gutiar hero and some of the cool ones and not the like 200 and only have 100mb left?

4. Viremia macrumors regular

Why don't you post this in the iPod Touch Hacking forum where I'm sure they could answer all your questions?

5. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I have a jailbroken 16 GB touch. I don't have it on my right now; however, I do know that most apps are a few MB's at most, some even less than 1 MB (just matters) and the biggest I think I have is around 3 MB maybe. With installer.app I believe there is only a certain amount of HD space available for installing apps. For instance, if you jailbreak your 8GB touch, you won't have 8GB of space to install apps, you will have a pre-determined amount of space (somewhere around 50MB - 75MB maybe - again, I don't have mine with my and I i'm still rocking a jailbroken 1.1.1 so it has been awhile since Oct-Nov since I jailbroke and installed apps). Overall, I have maybe 10-15 apps installed and I still have room for others - I do not believe you will run out of space unless you want to install several apps. But again, an 8 GB iPod Touch will have just as much space for installing apps as a 32 GB ( i think), so you will be fine.

6. golf pro thread starter macrumors member

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Not if you create a symbolic link, then you can use as much space as you want for apps I believe.

8. golf pro thread starter macrumors member

would u mind to explain what a symbolic link is?

9. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I've heard that's possible, but isn't that for people who know what they are doing? I mean, if someone has doubts about jailbreaking in the first place, I'm not sure that is the route to take.

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You just need to SSH into the Touch from your computer and run a couple simple unix commands which are documented in the guides. Perhaps they shouldn't jailbreak then, as problems can occur with downgrading and such. Maybe sometime a hack will be out that does everything for you with a single click, wouldn't that be nice.

11. golf pro thread starter macrumors member

well there is thats how i jail broke my, with Ziphone all i had to do was click jailbreak ipod touch

12. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

I don't want to derail this thread or anything... I know I'm not the brightest star in the night sky, the coldest can in the six-pack, the sharpest knife, whatever...

I just bought a 32 gig touch last week. I have no idea what jailbraking is and what it allows... someone, in simple terms please? :)

13. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

It allows you to install 3rd-party apps on your iPod Touch. Image a Mac computer with OS X on it - that is what the iPod Touch is basically. However, with a Mac you can install MS Office, Adobe CS3, Handbrake, Firefox, etc.; with the iPod Touch you cannot install any third party apps. When you jailbreak the phone, you basically "open" it up to allow installation. You can install games, different types of color themes, IM apps, book readers and books, etc.

14. goya1110 macrumors newbie

goya1110

ipod 2.1.1 jailbreak

is there any jailbreak out there 4 ipod touch 2.1.1? i've been reading a few sites & they say there is none available YET. i'm dyin' 2 mod the s*** outta my ipod. thanx in advance. :D

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

mods waste time and you only do it to impress/show off to your friends. use the iPod for what it was meant for. media player and apps.

16. goya1110 macrumors newbie

goya1110

i just wanna hook it up 2 its fullest potential...f*** showing off, i'm just tryin 2 do me. any help with this situation?:confused:

17. goya1110 macrumors newbie

goya1110

so basically...

...there is no jailbreak YET for ipod touch 2.1.1. I NEED LIMITLESS APPS, plz send helpof possible. sorry the henny & coke is kickin in!:D