Need help with Java, test is soon and need the application.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Jonari, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Jonari macrumors newbie

Studying for my medical board exam, I'm using a question bank to prepare for the exam by the name of Usmle World. When browsing the net yesterday, I came across this link, and I followed steps 1a and 1b.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/07/tips-secure-mac-from-virus-trojan/

Today, trying to open the UWorld app, it gave me this error:

[​IMG]

I went to the site and download the proper program. Now, I can't locate Java Preferences in my Utilities folder. I was told from another thread that J7 will open up it's own folder...but I'm not sure what to click on to get the app working.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

3. Jonari thread starter macrumors newbie

The program that I use to do practice questions on requires Java.

http://www.usmleworld.com/system_requirements.aspx

However, yesterday I had disabled it because I thought it would optimize the performance of my laptop. However, I didn't realize I need it to run the program. I tried to go back and look for Java Preferences, but it's no longer there.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Once you have installed Java 7 and do the latest Apple Java update there is no Java Preferences application. You don't need it. Once you have installed Java 7 it is automatically used. You should be able to reenable it by attempting to run a Java application or by rechecking the box in the browser preferences.

If this fails you can re-download and install. It's at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7u9-downloads-1859586.html

5. Jonari thread starter macrumors newbie

Extremely frustrating. Which one should I download? I downloaded the 52.xmB version but that still didn't seem to work, for the MacOSx.

By the way, my laptop is Os X version 10.7.5

6. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

That version should be fine. Can you elaborate on what didn't work?

I'm wondering now if your Java is working fine but you're having trouble launching this test of yours.

7. Jonari thread starter macrumors newbie

I should've clarified, yes Java does work fine, but I'm having trouble opening the program. The first image which I've posted is what pops up whenever I try to open the program. Re-starting the laptop didn't help either.

8. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Ok, so you downloaded the Java installer, but did you run it? Did it appear to complete successfully? Did you go back into Safari preferences and re-enable the Java checkbox there?

9. Jonari thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I've installed thus far...:) Opened the .dmgs, double clicked, and had everything installed.

[​IMG]

10. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

How does your testing software work? Is it a java applet that you access from a web page? And every time you go to that page you're getting the notice that Java isn't installed?

11. Jonari thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's just a program that you purchase. You download the program, and whenever you want to use it, just open it up and start using it.

12. ffohwx macrumors member

Not quite true. Oracle's Java 7 installs a pref pane in System Preferences to control Java Preferences.

13. Jonari thread starter macrumors newbie

Smirk, I got it working. What a damn pain in the ass this has been. Lost a whole studying day due to this. I decided to see what would happen if I un-installed and re-installed the program. It works fine now. Thanks again for all your help...:D

14. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I didn't really help, but I'm glad you got it working. Good luck with the exams!