Need help with mac os passwords

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MissMichelle, Dec 23, 2007.

1. MissMichelle macrumors newbie

I recently got a new macbook pro and with it came my .Mac account. It seems it continuously wont accept my password or my birthdate to retrieve my information since I first got my computer started. It has the option to send it to my .mac e-mail but I can't check it without the password. None of my mac os programs will start without it, and leapard wont install fully without it. I've e-mailed the help desk and they never got back to me. Has anyone else ever had this happen? I've ran out of options, would uninstalling mac os and reinstalling help at all? Or am I just screwed? Please help! :confused:

2. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Need help with mac os passwords

This is a little weird.

When you get a new MacBook Pro, it has no idea what password you want to use. Only you can select a password for your MBP. That can be managed in system preferences, Account.

So, initially MBP come with no password set. Therefore when you turn on the MBP, or restart it, the user name field, and password, should be blank.

The same with a .Mac account. At the beginning, when you set up .Mac you are asked for a password. You set the password at that time, and you'll be unable to open your .Mac account until you do so.

To be on the safe side I use the same password for my general MBP password, then use the same for my .Mac account. Until I'm settled, then I can change them. Write them down somewhere.

Do you have an Apple ID? If so what is it? Did you use this as a password? If you don't haver a Apple ID ignore this.

What's true for the password is also the same for a username. Only you can specify a username.

Is it possible that you thought that your username and password would be selected automatically from the information you filled in to register the MBP? This is not true.

Hope this helps you.

3. MissMichelle thread starter macrumors newbie

Well see I have an Apple ID and it's the same as my .Mac account, I have my MBP password and it wont work with my Apple ID/.Mac account. If I were smart I definately would have written them down, I was just excited. It says my main .Mac user name is missmichelle@mac.com and all my passwords I've tried wont work. It just shakes them off. I've made a new 60-day trial account and that would work if it didn't ask for my missmichelle password as soon as I get in, which it does everytime. If I were to proceed to buy the program .Mac could I make a new main user name/password? Or should I uninstall and reinstall? Or should I just format and start over if that's possible, this is my first mac and I'm so lost. I appreciate any advice I can get, thank you so much.

4. braxtonrhea macrumors newbie

MacBook pro Help

Hello, I have a Macbook pro version 10.6.5, and like many other people a friend of mine old me some money so we called it even and he gave me the Macbook, The problem is it was his girlfriends and everywhere on the computer that you ask to do something it will have her name and below it ask for her password, well how can I change all this and make this all in my name, I have read a few places but I need someone to please break it down for me line for line what I have to put in, when I first start the process by holding down command +s.. so can someone please please help me with this I really would appreaciate it very much... thanks so much..

Braxton

5. simsaladimbamba

The easiest way to start with a used Mac would be to purchase Snow Leopard (if the grey Restore DVDs are not included) and do a Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

Or you could reset the password and create an entirely new user account for you and delete the old accounts.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1274
    http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/03/how-to-reset-your-mac-os-x-password-without-an-installer-disc/
    http://kb.iu.edu/data/akmk.html