Need help with Mac purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gamal, Jul 11, 2008.

  1. Gamal macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    #1
    Good-day all. I'm new to these forums and I've finally decided to ditch my PC to indulge into the Mac experience. Before I do so, I will appreciate some help and advice on my purchases.

    I'll be using Photoshop cs3 on my new system and i'll also be editting music. I am wanting to buy a mac pro and a Macbook Pro for portability. I have heard that a new line of Mac Pros (Nehalem?) will be released around early next year? Considering this, is it worth it for me to wait and only buy the Macbook Pro now? Will the MBP be sufficient for my needs for a few months? I'll be willing to sacrifice a bit on performance now if the boost on the MP line is considerable.

    So in short, shall I wait for the new MPs and use a MBP in the mean time or buy now.

    Thank you.
     
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

    emptyCup

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2005
    #2
    That's a lot of computing power you're thinking of buying. Since you need portability, start with the MBP. Give yourself time to adjust to it and a new OS before spending more. In a few months, if you still feel you need a Mac Pro, you can see what the situation looks like then.
     
  3. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

    Whorehay

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    #3
    I agree! Get acquainted with the Mac OS first... be sure you can deal with the change, although I am pretty sure you will.
     
  4. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

    kingcrowing

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Location:
    Burlington, VT
    #4
    Agreed. If there's going to be an update soon for both (as rumor has it) then I would go with a Macbook Pro now and get your Mac Pro in a few months, because if you're going to be doing a lot of heavy lifting, then you'll want that to be as powerful as possible, and i imagine you'll end up using that as your main computer. If there is going to be an update it will still be fairly minor as far as performance for the Macbook Pros, however it could be a decent step up for the Pros, hard to say.

    Good luck and welcome to the world of mac!
     
  5. Gamal thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    #5
    That's probably the best route for me to take. Thanks for the advice. I will be going for the 15" MBP for now with 4gb ram but I don't know if I should spend extra for the processor upgrade from 2.5Ghz to 2.6Ghz. Is the extra 0.1Ghz worth it?

    Cheers.
     
  6. nanvinnie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
    #6
    not sure if you're planning to get the 4bg of ram at purchase, but i'd recommend getting ram aftermarket... apple overcharges for the ram. personally, .1ghz...not really worth it. if you have the scratch... i'd say go for it.
     

Share This Page