Need help with MacBook. "You must restart your computer..."

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJ Hellfire, Sep 11, 2012.

1. DJ Hellfire macrumors newbie

So I just got a new MBP 13" back in April. Then a few weeks ago, I started getting these "You must restart" crashes out of nowhere. They weren't really specific to any task I was doing, but I noticed it happened most either while browsing the internet, or directly when opening the lid after it slept over night. It was just a bunch of random Kernal Panics that didn't really point to one specific thing. I suspected Google Chrome, but after an uninstall (deleting complete Chrome folder) and reinstall, still happened. Then just removed Chrome altogether and went to Safari, still happened.

Went to the genius bar and they did a few things that didn't work and said that they wanted to do a fresh install next. I hadn't backed up my system, so I bought an external, picked up my MBP, and took it home and did it my self. I backed up, then did a full reformat of the hard drive and did a fresh install of Lion. Restored my stuff from my backup. All was well for almost 2 days. Then bam, it happens again.

So I thought maybe I may have restored whatever software problem was there before I reformatted? But then I decided to test the RAM I put in it. About a week after I bought the MBP, I upgraded to 8GB. Got it from Newegg. Here is the specific RAM I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233215. Did a memtest over night, passed! But was still getting the problem. So I took the RAM out and put the factory RAM back in, and the problem hasn't happened since. And it's been about 5 days. Before, it was happening everyday, sometimes up to 3 times a day.

So I guess it's safe to assume that the RAM was the issue? Even though it passed the memtest? Only thing is, how do I go about getting them to warranty it? What do I tell them? Do you guys think that was even the problem or do you think it will happen again?

2. DJ Hellfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are some of the Kernel Panic reports:

3. DJ Hellfire thread starter macrumors newbie

There were a lot more than that before the reformat. And here are the two panics that happened after the fresh install, but before swapping back to factory RAM. Hasn't happened since 9/7:

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, I'd say it's your RAM. Memtest is great, but it doesn't always catch everything. Did you ever try running AHT?

I'd contact corsair support and explain the issue. I don't know what kind of options they'll give you, I've never dealt with them. You did buy Mac specific memory, I don't imagine they'll give you any trouble.

5. DJ Hellfire thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't get the apple hardware test to work. First, my computer shipped with no DVD's, so it has to use the internet. When it tells me to select my wireless network, my network isn't even showing up on the list. I tried typing it in manually and that didn't work either. Tried rebooting my router. Didn't work. So I tried using MyWi from my iPhone and that showed up immediately. But after it connected, it did nothing. It just displayed the grey spinning globe. Then gave me an error "apple.com/support -1005D" which gives me absolutely nothing when I search it.

The weird part is that when I'm using the computer normally, it connects to my network immediately upon booting. Why is the internet retore function not able to see my network?

I remember when I was trying to do the fresh install, my network wasn't showing up immediately either. It took about a minute to show up, while all my neighbors' networks were showing immediately. It also takes a long time for my Mac to see my Windows PC's on the network after it boots or wakes from sleep.