Need help with Macfan, or other fan control program

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by William90, Jul 23, 2013.

1. William90 macrumors newbie

In my opinion my macbook pro 13 i5 2.5 (mid 2012) is running to hot now I'm using windows on bootcamp and I tried installing macfan, but I can't get it to work.

I've got windows 7 ultimate 64 bit running now and I've followed the instructions, but the program runs into an 'unexpected error' and only tells me the data of 1 fan.

How can I fix this and if it's not fixable, what is a good solid program I could use in windows?

Kind Regards.

2. simsaladimbamba

What temperatures (Celsius or Fahrenheit) are you experiencing then? And the 13" MBP only has ONE fan.

3. William90 thread starter macrumors newbie

lawl, good to know thanks. I knew I should have looked into that. And thanks for the fast reply!

Temps I've been getting are 72 degrees celcius max using microsoft excel (VBA) in combination with some youtube. Average is between 50 and 60. I know the CPU can get a lot hotter, but I feel it's to hot for these two simple applications. FYI, it IS smoking hot right now where i work (office with a broken aircro, 30 degrees celcius room temp)

4. simsaladimbamba

While YouTube may seem simple, it uses Flash to present those videos and Flash is CPU intensive, thus the 72° C, which is more than within parameters and to be expected depending on the CPU activity due to YouTube / Flash.

5. William90 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I shouldn't worry? The aluminum get's pretty hot though, left upper corner especially.

6. simsaladimbamba

The aluminium acts as heat sink, and as the CPU is located in the upper left, it is to be expected to get warmer. If it is too hot to touch though, you might need extra cooling due to the warm room you are in right now.

More info about heat: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14674444&postcount=2

7. William90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll check it out when I've got the time! Thanks for the help sir.