Need Help with MacMail and Yahoo Account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeffnebraska, Apr 23, 2010.

1. jeffnebraska macrumors member

Apr 22, 2010
    Brand new to Mac and can't get the mail app working with my wife's Yahoo account.

Everything seemed to set up automatically and easily. The app automatically chose a server to send and receive mail. However, the account is not working right.

It only brings down an odd subset of the emails in the online version, with no rhyme or reason. I was also able to send an email as a test from the MacMail program, but the email only showed up in the online version and did not come back to MacMail.

One other weird thing is that when I tried to delete the mailbox and start again, I could not get it to delete out of the list of mailboxes.

The results I'm getting are so odd, it seems like something's broken.

2. DFTU101 macrumors member

May 16, 2008
    Is it a free Yahoo acct? You have to pay $19.95 to upgrade to Yahoo Plus services to be able to POP forward to Mac Mail Application. Otherwise, you have to online to Yahoo website to check mail.
  3. mbpjohnson macrumors member

Apr 18, 2010
    I am new to Macs too and my wife had to have her Yahoo mail.
    I spent hours trying to get it to work and finally did. The easiest way is probably to pay the 20 bucks a year for the plus account.

With the free account you need a program called MacFreePop, do a search for it and how to set up yahoo mail you should find a few step by step set up guides. You will also need a gmail account. This will allow macmail to recieve yahoo mail and send on gmail. Some how it works but I still have one problem with MacFreePops I can not get it to auto open on start up, have not figured that out. Gmail also works fine with macmail if you can get the wife to switch. If she likes yahoo be forwarned that ichat does not support yahoo chat either.

4. jeffnebraska thread starter macrumors member

Apr 22, 2010
    Sounds like I should just get the plus account.

Since I can't delete the current account from MacMail (don't know why), does anyone know if I just pay my 20 bucks and put in the pop address for the plus account whether MacMail will fix itself?
  5. DFTU101 macrumors member

May 16, 2008
    If you want to delete the account, look under preferences in Apple Mail & select "Accounts". Highlight the account and click on the minus sign at the bottom.

If you want to change the Yahoo account to plus, just make sure "POP Access" is enabled. It's under "Options" on the top right of the Yahoo mail page when you are on your Yahoo mail website. Click on the More options under options and you should see a page that has the listing of POP Access/forwarding or something on the left. Click on that and make sure POP Access is checked.

You can also sign up for a Gmail account (IMAP not POP) for free but you're probably attached to your old email.
  6. lie2me macrumors member

Apr 23, 2010
    Go with GMAIL

Yahoo seemed to be first with free Web-based email but they failed to adapt to changing conditions. Email clients became the norm and not the exception but Yahoo failed to switch to free POP mail.

Yahoo requires you to pay for use of their POP mail server with any email client instead of using webmail.

In my opinion, Yahoo mail has been one of the more hijacked mail systems. I have received email from a known person from their Yahoo email account asking for money in a foreign country to get back to the US. Turns out, their computer was hacked, their Yahoo account stolen and spam was sent.

Until Yahoo puts better protection in place and offers at least fee POP mail, they are going to have problems. Webmail is terrible unless you have to use it when you are traveling.

Good luck.