Need help with Mail! (Getting Gmail and Outlook school account to play nicely...)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KUguardgrl13, Mar 1, 2014.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So up until Wednesday, I had had all of my email accounts playing nicely with my various devices. I checked my personal gmail in Chrome on my Mac and also on my iPhone though Mail. I managed my school OWA account in Mail on both my Mac and my iPhone.

Then I decided to mess around with forwarding my OWA email to my Gmail because I dropped out and will lose access to it for my job in about 4 months. So I set up forwarding in Gmail to have my OWA account forwarded, but I didn't realize that involved downloading 7000+ emails. Then of course I didn't check to have the messages left on the OWA server. So they're all in Gmail now (I think. Hard to tell unfortunately because it filtered the spam messages into Spam which Mail and OWA didn't do), but I want them back in Mail. I was about to recover everything up until February 3rd from my Time Machine, but that leaves me with a month of messages to get back. They're in Gmail with the correct time stamps, but I want them back in Mail.

I realize now that I should've just left it alone or made sure that the correct settings were checked. I had everything working fine for years until this week :(. Any advise? I tried exporting my OWA messages from Gmail, but the timestamps are all wrong, and the messages are not in order.

There was also an issue where the messages would be marked as read in Mail on all my devices when I hadn't read them yet. Only Gmail showed them as unread. I've turned off forwarding for now but haven't deleted the OWA messages from Gmail yet except for the Spam messages. Those shouldn't be a problem though.

Devices: two MacBook Pros running 10.9.2 and an iPhone 5 running 7.0.6.

Please offer any advice you can! If you can go as far as helping me be able to reply from Mail with my Gmail address without having to download all of those messages, that would be great! That's what I was trying to do initially, and it kind of blew up in my face.

2. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So I think I've figured out how to get the messages back into Mail... I'm importing my Gmail account into Mail and will drag and drop to the OWA mailbox. The question will be how to get Gmail back out of mail without messing it up (I don't really have the hard drive space to keep it there...).

3. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So I got the messages in my OWA mailbox, but they're not showing the correct dates because "Date Received" is set to the Gmail import date and time, not when the message was originally received by my OWA account. It can be changed under the Sort By menu if I hold option, but it doesn't the date on the server. Any advice?? I sent feedback to Apple.