Need help with MBP/mini displayport output failure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by summitscout, Aug 30, 2011.

1. summitscout macrumors newbie

Any suggestions for troubleshooting an intermittent problem with no video output through mini displayport? Maybe once per week, the video just goes out and I am not sure what brings it back.

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) and typically have it connected to a Samsung SyncMaster 933 via a Monoprice MDP->VGA cord. Typically, I can connect it, disconnect it, wake from sleep with no problems. About once per week or so, the external monitor goes blank. Typically after interrupting the screen saver. Occasionally plugging back into monitor after taking the MBP away from the desk.

Here's the interesting part: When the screen is blank, the monitor light reflects a connected status. The Display control panel shows the connection to the monitor. Basically, all indications reflect normal status - except for the blank screen. The following have no immediate effect to restore video: Flipping screen settings, log out/in, restart, sleep, screensaver activate/deactivate, unplug/plug external cord, re-seat VGA connector. It just seems to come back on.

I did not too long ago have trouble getting the MBP to recognize the fact that I plugged in an external projector at a school in a second user account. Logging in as other user did not help.

Today it has gone out twice, but seemed to restore randomly. Otherwise this doesn't seem to happen more than once per week.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting? Thanks!

2. andyboutte macrumors member

you have three variables and you need to start eliminating what you can.

can you test the cable with a different computer? can you test the monitor with a different computer?

3. summitscout thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks like the issue has surfaced....

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010): Intermittent black screen or loss of video