Need help with Megaupload

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wez99950, Apr 18, 2009.

1. wez99950 macrumors member

Help! My friend uploaded a recording of a show on megavideo and I downloaded it but when it did, on my desktop there is just a blank page icon and it won't play on iTunes or quicktime. I thought i might have needed to unzip it so i tried using zipeg but zipeg didn't recognise it.
    I really am the worst at computers and i really have no idea what to do! Would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How big is it (in MByte) and what does it say in the Information window (Cmd + I, or right click > Get Info).

Is there any suffix to the file like .jpg, .avi, .mov, ....?

3. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

It's 247MB and its called '10-18-07 act two.wmv' Does that help? Do you need more info??

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Macs cannot play windows media video files by default. You'll need a plugin like Flip4Mac to play them.

5. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

I tried using it with flip4mac there and it said 'the file is not a movie file'. Am i doing something wrong??

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

7. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Did you right-click on the "download" button in megaupload or regular click? Also if it is a video file, it should not end in .html and should take a little while to download (i.e. more than a second).

8. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

Oh thank you! That worked. really appreciate that. Just one more question, is it possible to play it on iTunes?? I'm afraid to click any buttons for fear that i'll mess it up but i would like to be able to play them on my iTouch.

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Download Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr) and convert it using the 'iPod touch' preset. :)

10. wez99950 thread starter macrumors member

Ok i have handbrake already but how exactly do i use it!?!? sorry, i really am USELESS at computers. I have tried moving the original file into handbrake and also playing it on streamclip and then clicking streamline as the source in handbrake but that doesn't work either. Do I need to save it in a different way and then try and use handbrake?? Sorry about this!