Need help with Memory

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Littleboo, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Littleboo macrumors regular

I have a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5. my memory is 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM. I recently installed the new system and now my computer is slow so I need to pump it up! Do my numbers show the reason it's been slow? I went on the apple website to buy memory, but I don't see my computer on the list and I'm not sure if PowerPc is the actual name of my computer. I don't think it's Intel or iSight based, but I have no idea how to figure it out. It's 3 years old.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Is this a silver tower, or all-in-one? The former is the PowerMac G5, the latter is the iMac G5. I believe they use DDR2 memory, but don't quote me on that as I've not dealt a lot with the G5s.

TEG

3. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

It's a all in one. Is is possible that the Apple store doesn't sell this anymore?

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Even if Apple had your memory, don't buy it from them because they overcharge, there are 3rd party stores that sell quality RAM for cheaper. I've been a happy customer of Crucial.com

Check this out too:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_RAM

5. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

so I went to Crucial.com and did the scan. it told me that I have no open slots on my machine. So it's saying to remove one 512 and put in 1 GB. Will this make a big difference? it would give me 2GB

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I'm guessing you have an iMac then since it seems Crucial scan is giving you a 2GB max on RAM. It will improve speed, but that's relative to what a "big difference" is to you.

Take a look at this article and see if any of these work for you before you buy RAM.

Be careful with Tinkertools and Onyx, I don't like using 3rd party apps to optimize my computer and I've seen both positive and negative results using these apps.

I recommend #1, 11, 12, and 19. And if you are not comfortable or certain about any of the suggestions in the article skip it or search for more info first.

Is there a particular task or certain applications that seem slow now?

7. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

You're right. Your computer can only hold 2GB of RAM. 1GB in each of it's 2 slots.

8. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

the article was really helpful. I would like to remove all the unwanted language but I'm on Lepoard, so the suggested application isn't for that. Can I just drag them to the trash?

I also want to disable dashboard, but I can't figure out how. I looked in the preferences panel but I don't see it.

All the programs are slow. the whole computer is slow as a whole.

I looked at the HD and I have about 23GB available.

thank you all. it's been so helpful!

9. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I've used Monolingual with no issues on Leopard. I downloaded it from versiontracker.com which says it's OK for Leopard.

Here's a way to disable Dashboard. Just keep it bookmarked in case you decide to use Dashboard again in the future.