Need help with messager.app

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by jsnider, Feb 27, 2018.

1. jsnider macrumors newbie

Basically can not setup messenger on laptop will not authenticate.
    when trying to setup messenger app on mac laptop.

I can login on the icloud web page. No problem

note! under machine preferences icloud messenger is not to be found???????????
    nor does it show in location services.. It does show up on other computers just not this one..

I think that is the root of my problem.

HELP Please....

Joe
    sniderj@comcast.net

2. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

What version of macOS? Is it a personal, or managed device (if managed, has the admin restricted the device)?

If it is a personal device, you might try booting to recovery and re-installing the OS. If you don't reformat the drive, existing apps, settings, user files and profiles will remain in place.

3. jsnider thread starter macrumors newbie

It is running High Sierra, latest was upgrades two weeks ago. It is unmanaged.
    System had same problem before installing High Sierra.
    Icloud is functional, mail,contacts and the rest however messaging is just not there!
    I am looking under system pref, Icloud and location services. If this were a PC i would check services and confirm its started.

sndierj@comcast.net

4. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

If you press Command+Spacebar (Spotlight should present a search box)

When you type messages.app you are saying nothing is returned?

The Messages app no longer shows under iCloud for preferences. The general and account setting preferences are in the app itself.

5. jsnider thread starter macrumors newbie

I try to set up in message app I get authentication error, credentials are correct as machine is logged into icloud.
    I noticed on other machines that messaging shows up under sys pref location services and icloud, but not on this one.
    I have also gone into keychain and deleted all auth tokens associated with icloud.