Need help with mini display port to vga or hdmi?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dazloe, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dazloe macrumors member

Hello everyone, I just ordered myself a new macbook pro :) and I have been researching 24 inch monitors to hook it up to. The monitor I am looking at is the HP w2408h. I just wanted to know what will give me better quality on the screen; mini display port to vga? or mini display port to dvi and then dvi to hdmi? any help would be great, cheers.

2. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Mini display port to DVI, DVI to HDMI cable. This is the very same setup I have, and it works great. I havnt' tried the VGA adapter though.

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

From my experience, Apple monitors show the best picture out of all other major monitors hands down. Especially when connected to a Mac. But the HP W2408H is quite a bit cheaper. These are two reviews that I found useful when writing this post: Apple LED Cinema Display Review, HP W2408H Review. THe setup of the cables depend on what your input/output scenario is. You describe a setup for two different scenarios. One ending up with VGA and one ending up with DVI. If your monitor offers both inputs then I would go with DVI. DVI offers a much higher resolution image basically because it's newer. VGA goes back to when monitors started shipping in 1987. It was the analog standard for computers. DVI has taken over it's place and we'll see what Mini DisplayPort offers. Here is an interesting article on the different cable/connection options.

4. dazloe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses guys, Sounds like I should go for the Mini Display Port to DVI and then DVI to HDMI. If anyone has any more info or advice I'm all ears :)

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

That's what's gonna give you the best quality on that monitor. If you have an old chunky and junky monitor then it wouldn't matter as much.