Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordan williams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I've been using my sony vx2100 and other little sony handy cam to capture footage into imovie11. but recently, when i import, it goes into one big clip instead of separating them. since it makes it one big clip, its a hassle to edit :/
any advice to fix or any other programs i could use?
thanks.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
The gold, old SD DV doesn't split your footage into clips on capture.

In FCP you could run the Start/Stop detection and create sub clips.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Did you try to see whether there's an option in iMovie preferences.

Perhaps it's a setting on your camcorder. Try an old DV tape that did split up and see whether iMovie still doesn't split up. If it doesn't, there's a problem with iMovie, else it's with your camcorder.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
My iMovie11 splits my DV imports into separate clips based on the start/stop points on the tape.

What's the problem with a single long clip? Just select the bits that you want and drag into a Project.

jordan williams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
My iMovie11 splits my DV imports into separate clips based on the start/stop points on the tape.

What's the problem with a single long clip? Just select the bits that you want and drag into a Project.

theres no problem with that. but for some of the clips i want to edit in after effects. its annoying having to go through 20 minutes of footage just to edit like a 3 second clip in after effects

----------

The gold, old SD DV doesn't split your footage into clips on capture.

In FCP you could run the Start/Stop detection and create sub clips.

fcp crashes when i try to capture :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.