Need help with monitor for mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Crevice, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Crevice macrumors regular

So I have gone through a really tough time with the new iMac, and have decided to go with the mac pro..for several reasons. It started with me looking at Mac Pro's out of frustration, then I decided I really want the extra juice and graphics card since I am a hardcore mac user and pretty hardcore gamer and I want both in one box, without having to build a seperate gaming PC.

So my question is, are there any users here using 27 inch monitors not from apple? Since I had the taste of the iMac screen, its hard for me to go smaller, but the problem is of course most 27 inch monitors are really expensive or have standard 1920x1080 resolution. Anybody have suggestions on a good monitor for a mac pro?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dell U2711 is similar to 27" iMac as it uses the same panel but is matte and uses CCFL backlight instead of LED.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If you want something that can rival the iMac's IPS screen, then you have to go high-end Dell or NEC. 27" monitors are still quite rare because most people are still looking at 24" which are the rage right now. However, if you want to settle for something a little bit smaller (24"), then maybe the 24" LED cinema display? Those are getting cheaper because the 27" will be replacing it. If not, then look into Dell or NEC's 27" offerings.

4. Crevice thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, didn't realize how expensive they were. I guess I will take anything decent between 24-27 inches in my price range, which is not high to enough to get a high end 27in. My price range is max $450. I saw this guy, not the same resolution..but still good:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5058460&CatId=3774

5. Sqadush macrumors newbie

Just a hint.
    If you want a screen for gaming, not all monitors are good, especially if you look in the high end...
    IPS or VA technology will be made more for color accuracy and large color range rather than response time.
    So just make sure you get a screen that fits your need.
    TN is more responsive but will be bad for viewing angles and color space.

6. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Response time isn't really much of an issue anymore with modern IPS panels. Most of them will do 6-8ms GTG responses now, which is more than adequate for most games.

7. Crevice thread starter macrumors regular

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I got a 30" from Dell Outlet for $850

It was a Dell 3008WFP; an excellent monitor.

9. Sqadush macrumors newbie

I agree; but there still are some not very responsive IPS panels, si it does not cost much to take a look before spending some money.
    For example NEC 2490; not so good for gaming, or at least on response time (8 ms if I recall correctly)

10. Crevice thread starter macrumors regular

That is a very nice monitor, unfortunately with the cost of the mac pro, I can only go for a nice 24 inch now. Once 27 inches come down in price, I will go for one. My budget is really only like 300-400 bucks anyway, I didn't realize how expensive 27 inches were.

11. sboerner1 macrumors newbie

I am in a similar situation. I have a 2007 Mac Pro (with two dual-link DVI ports) and am using two aging 20-inch Apple Cinema displays that I would like to replace. A quick look at the Apple website and a call to the local Apple Store indicates that I won't be able to replace these with Apple products.

The 30-inch display is out of my price range, and I'd rather work with two medium-size displays than one large one anyway. The new 24-inch display would require a third-party adapter to work with my computer. (The salesman at the Apple Store said such an adapter was available from CinemaView; however, I can't find a dual-link DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter on the CinemaView website.)

I do professional graphic design and image correction. Can anyone recommend a high-quality 24- or 27-inch display that I can directly connect to my Mac Pro? My price range is $500-$750.

12. Sqadush macrumors newbie

For image correction and that type of work I would say :
    -Eizo CG 241 might be above budget
    -Eizo 222 , but 22"
    -Eizo SX24xx
    -Nec 2490, but no wide gammut
    -Nec 2790 but might be above budget
    -Dell ultrasharp in 24 or 27 but not as good ...

Cheers

13. sboerner1 macrumors newbie

Sqadush -- Thanks, you've given me a good place to start.