Need help with Monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 4dtough, Jan 18, 2011.

1. 4dtough macrumors member

I currently have Dell 24" ultra monitor and looking to get a new one
    I can get my hands on 30"ACD but don't know if this will be better than 27" NEC or the new apple 27"
    This monitor will be used for photography work in RGB in 12 or 14 bit
    Thank you for your help

2. JKColo22 macrumors regular

I'm not sure about the other brands, but I think the differences between the Apple 27" and the 30" is that the 27" has the mini display port connectors, built in speakers, and isight... and has a 3" larger screen. With the ACD 30" you are just getting a monitor, but a very large, very nice one at that. And if I remember correctly the 30" is not a glossy screen.

3. 4dtough thread starter macrumors member

Yes
    But I don't think Apple monitors are full RGB gamma monitors
    They are closer to sRGB
    I may be wrong and thats why I asked

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I have the Dell U24, which replaced an earlier Dell. If the specs are to be believed the test report that with it said it worked to 107% RGB. I don't have pro photography needs. But, it works well. Little slow on power up. It seems to be personal, but I've never become used to the glossy laptops I have. It's one of the reasons I have a Dell instead of ACD.

5. toxic macrumors 68000

"work in RGB" doesn't make any sense.

the Dell U2410 I believe covers Adobe RGB. Apple displays cover sRGB. the NEC 27" and Dell 27" cover 102% NTSC (larger than Adobe RGB).

wide-gamut isn't always a good thing.

6. 4dtough thread starter macrumors member

Dell and NEC cover only 97%
    what about apple 30"

7. toxic macrumors 68000

just looked it up again, the U2410, U2711, and PA271 cover 102% NTSC...which is apparently 97% Adobe RGB, but their color gamut actually extends past aRGB in the greens.

as I said, all Apple displays are sRGB.

8. 4dtough thread starter macrumors member

Thank you
    I think PA monitor from NEC is the best budget pro monitor up there

9. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

Just dont go glossy... the colors are too rich and the contrast too high for you to make any good judgement of the finished product.

Look towards Eizo... they can be had at a reseaonable price. Show respect to your work, buying consumer grade screens isn't showing respect.

10. 4dtough thread starter macrumors member

Cost is almost double for EIZO VS NEC
    What EIZO model should I look at
    I know I'm not very happy with my ultra 24" dell and i know NEC uses the same screen, so I'm a bit lost

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No reason to choose Eizo over NEC. When looking at those two brands buy on price. It varies region to region.

NEC may use the same panel but the quality of the display is not the same.

Also be aware that one display isn't always the same quality as another even when they are the same model. There are plenty of people who have to send displays back several times before getting one that is good quality. Of course you have to know what to look for an expect so you can determine it is faulty or of poor quality.