Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I have a AVI file I need to convert to MPEG-4. The file is 15 minutes +/-. When I try to convert in MPEG Streamclip it only converts 1 minute 28 seconds out of the 15. At the bottom of the Streamclip screen it shows trimming to 1:28 minutes. How do I turn trimming off so that I convert the total clip length of 15 minutes?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Re-open the .avi with MPEG Streamclip or make sure the IN and OUT points are set at the beginning and end of the clip. You can set IN via I and OUT via O.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Re-open the .avi with MPEG Streamclip or make sure the IN and OUT points are set at the beginning and end of the clip. You can set IN via I and OUT via O.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, but if I select I or O nothing happens. Do I do this before I load the AVI file from the file menu?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Not sure what I am doing wrong, but if I select I or O nothing happens. Do I do this before I load the AVI file from the file menu?

No, after the movie is loaded into MPEG Streamclip and is shown in its window. You see a change in the time line colour.

No IN and OUT set:

4772378066_3e8d059959_b.jpg

IN and OUT set:

4772378070_eae8fd02c2_b.jpg

To delete IN and OUT press X (Edit > Cancel Selection)

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
No, after the movie is loaded into MPEG Streamclip and is shown in its window. You see a change in the time line colour.

No IN and OUT set:

4772378066_3e8d059959_b.jpg

IN and OUT set:

4772378070_eae8fd02c2_b.jpg

To delete IN and OUT press X (Edit > Cancel Selection)

I press the I and O and see nothing allowing change do I move the slider over to the frame I tried that but nothing happens. Any other ideas?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The screenshot does indicate, that the video is 1min 58sec and 15fr long. From where do you get the 15min and 1min 28sec lengths?

What does VLC show as length for the source .avi?

I can offer to give it a try myself, if you want. You could upload a sample video to 2shared.com and I could give it a try.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I think the problem is not the trimming. When I opened the file in Streamclip it doesn't show the complete clip. Why is that? I can see the clip in Quicktime. Is there some limit? The file size of the AVI is 480 Mb. What is VLC?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I think the problem is not the trimming. When I opened the file in Streamclip it doesn't show the complete clip. Why is that? I can see the clip in Quicktime. Is there some limit? The file size of the AVI is 480 Mb. What is VLC?

Now I seem to understand. VLC Player is a media player, but if you can open it via QuickTime, can you post the information presented in the Movie Inspector (screenshot, ... - open the .avi in QT and press CMD+I).

Do you have Perian installed? You can check by going to System Preferences > Other. If not, install it and see, if you can open the .avi now in its entirety in MPEG Streamclip.

But also try to open it in VLC Player and se if it is complete in there.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Now I seem to understand. VLC Player is a media player, but if you can open it via QuickTime, can you post the information presented in the Movie Inspector (screenshot, ... - open the .avi in QT and press CMD+I).

Do you have Perian installed? You can check by going to System Preferences > Other. If not, install it and see, if you can open the .avi now in its entirety in MPEG Streamclip.

But also try to open it in VLC Player and se if it is complete in there.

OK it is complete in Quicktime.
Here is the info.
16-bit
FPS 28.53
Data Size 469.9 Mb
Data Rate 9.12 Mbt/s
720 x 480

I do have Perian installed, but not sure how to use it. But All players show full video except MPEG Streamclip.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Nothing more? Which QuickTime version did you use? There should be something about codecs for video and audio and such.

Have you Perian installed or not?

Can you open the .avi file in VLC Player and press CMD+I and look at and post the Codec Details?

Btw, VLC is able to transcode video too.
http://wiki.videolan.org/Transcode

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I got the file to load in iMovie where it can be edited. I am just not sure if AVI is allowed on Youtube. I will check that out. VLC corrected an index error. Thanks for the help.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I got the file to load in iMovie where it can be edited. I am just not sure if AVI is allowed on Youtube. I will check that out. VLC corrected an index error. Thanks for the help.

When you use iMovie, and send it to YouTube it will automatically be converted anyway.

Strange though, that you could get an .avi file to open in iMovie, but I suspect it uses the MJPEG codec.

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
When you use iMovie, and send it to YouTube it will automatically be converted anyway.

Strange though, that you could get an .avi file to open in iMovie, but I suspect it uses the MJPEG codec.

Thanks for all the help. Now to get out on the trike and get some clips.

hdayala

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
using StreamClip

I experienced the same thing you are going through. the AVI movie file behaved the same way. When I opened the AVI file on my mac, Quicktime opened it and played it just fine. It was in Quicktime that I noticed the in and out points were set to only a portion of the movie. And that was the only portion StreamClip would convert to MPE4. Once I corrected that, all was well

joelw135

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I experienced the same thing you are going through. the AVI movie file behaved the same way. When I opened the AVI file on my mac, Quicktime opened it and played it just fine. It was in Quicktime that I noticed the in and out points were set to only a portion of the movie. And that was the only portion StreamClip would convert to MPE4. Once I corrected that, all was well

How did you correct the problem? When I hit the I or O it does nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.