Need help with my battery.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KentuckyKid220, Jan 5, 2012.

1. KentuckyKid220 macrumors newbie

Hello. I have a few questions. I am thinking of giving up my friday movie night on my MBP to calibrate my battery. This is very heartbreaking. My battery used to last around 8-10 hours now its only lasting 4 hours.

Will calibrating my battery help?

My cycle count: 143
    Battery status: Good
    83%

I hear below 80% is when I need a battery replacement :mad: :( :( :(

So If I do calibrate will I get a better battery.

Q2: How much does a replacement cost? Thanks. Oh and the macbook pro 13" mid 2010 is 17 months old (According to coconutBattery)

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Calibrating won't help you

If you have Applecare and it drops below 80% in the near future, you can get it replaced for free. Otherwise, it's your decision if you want to replace it or just keep it with the lower capacity.

I think the replacement is around $150.

Did you upgrade to Lion or something like that? Going from 100% to 80% should not cut your battery life in half - your power usage must have increased.

3. KentuckyKid220 thread starter macrumors newbie

Still on SL, I used to play sessions of WoW and Minecraft daily. And during those sessions I often recharged my mac.

Damm, well im going to calibrate and see how it goes.

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

?

I'm sorry, but where and when did you get 8 hours of battery life?

5. KentuckyKid220 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh gosh.....

Back when I never used bootcamp or played too many games on my mac. Back when I only used it for movies and music and browsing.

Bah.

6. Shredder- macrumors regular

My MBP 13" Late 2011 only gets 4-5 hours of battery and its brand new... I just browse / watch movies online

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. KentuckyKid220 thread starter macrumors newbie

That helps. I'll get back to you people when calibration is complete.

Im almost at stage 3 (Remove power and drain)

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I guess you missed my post. You don't need to calibrate your battery, and it won't improve your battery life from a charge. Read the link I posted.

10. KentuckyKid220 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean maybe my Readings are incorrect. I have never ever calibrated my battery and I tend to do stupid things. This is my 3rd time I installed SL.

Im guessing its a reading malfunction.

11. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Your link is not working. I have read the notebook battery PDF a few times, but I don't ever remember it saying that we don't need to calibrate your battery. Why don't you need to calibrate the new mac unibody notebooks once a month or so?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Both links are good. You may need to refresh and retry a few times for the Apple link, or clear your browser's cache, as Apple appears to be having problems with their site recently. The batteries in the newer unibody models come pre-calibrated and don't require regular calibration, according to Apple. This is stated in the CALIBRATION - NEWER UNIBODY MODELS section of the Battery FAQ.

13. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

You're right. Tried the link again and it worked fine. Also looked at that section of the FAQ. It's definitely good to know that, as up to this point I have still been calibrating every 6 weeks or so. I hope it doesn't do anything harmful to your system though, does it?

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yeah this seems to have started about 2-3 weeks ago, and has only gotten worse. Usually a refresh of the page for me and it loads just fine (but seems to give the Apple page error (the one they post and not the browser generic) on the initial try.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you're fine. As stated in that section of the FAQ: