Need help with my Canon printer!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zadl11, Aug 29, 2011.

1. zadl11, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

zadl11 macrumors newbie

Hi, so I have a mid 2010 27" imac running Lion 10.7.1 and just recently bought a new Canon Pixma MG8120 printer to use with my imac but they won't connect. I called both Apple and Canon several times and nothing they suggested would work. I tried to download the drivers and softwares from the Canon website:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/...kjet_printers/pixma_mg8120#DriversAndSoftware

but nothing happens after they install. My printer does have a wifi feature but I want to use the usb connection. I hooked up my Canon printer with my old macbook pro running tiger to make sure my printer is not defective and it works, but not with my mid 2010 lion imac. I checked the list of printers that work with Lion and it appears that my Canon Pixma MG8120 printer is listed but still refuses to work for some reason:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3669

Can anyone help me with my situation? This is my last resort. Thanks!

2. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Did you set the printer up in the "Print & Scan" system preferences?

3. zadl11, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

zadl11 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I go to the "print & scan" menu in system preferences, it says "no printers are available" even though my printer is hooked up to my imac. So confused.

4. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Did you click the little "+" on the bottom of the list to the left? You should be able to just select it from the list then assuming the computer sees it at all. If it's not in the list then try this:

1. Go to the Apple Menu and select "About this mac"
    2. Click on the "System Report" button
    3. On the left, click "USB"
    4. Scan the list of USB devices that sounds like it might be your printer. If it's in this list, then the Mac definitely sees it.

Of course, if the beginning of this bloviation worked for you, then this step by step guide was for naught.

5. zadl11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already tried the small + button but my printer does not come up as a printer I can add. It's just blank. Also, customer support for apple had me check my usb devices like you're asking already. Nothing about my printer is listed. I thought there was something wrong with my usb cable but like i said, the printer connects perfectly with my old macbook pro but not with my mid 2010 lion imac.

6. DESNOS macrumors 6502

The only thing I can think of is a faulty USB port. Try another port on your Mac. If this doesn't do it, turning your mac off and unplugging the power cord for about 15 minutes or so often can reactivate disabled USB ports. They sometimes deactivate themselves to prevent damage if there's something wrong with a USB device plugged into it, so that's the only thing I can think of.

7. zadl11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, let me try this right now.

8. zadl11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shut down my imac, pulled out the wires, switched usb ports and still nothing. My other devices seem to work with all the usb ports so I don't think the ports are they issue. I just have no clue why this is happening.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

10. DESNOS macrumors 6502

He says it works with one of his computers. Frankly, I'm stumped. The last possibility I can come up with is driver/OS corruption, but that's rather unlikely... A reinstall of Lion is the only thing left I can think of. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.:eek:

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I know you want to use USB, but can you use the MBP to set up the WiFi and try to get it connected that way while you try to fix the USB?

I had the opposite problem under Leopard, I couldn't connect to my Pixma MX860 on the network until I connected via USB and installed their drivers.

B

12. zadl11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm trying to get the wifi to work right now. I'll let you know how it goes. BRB

13. zadl11 thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG!O#J#OJI@OIJ@OI@sffsdffs

It works! I guess I can only use it through wifi. It's weird because the usb cable was working with my old macbook pro running tiger. So I didn't think it was necessary to try wifi since the cable obviously worked with another computer. Anyways, thanks a lot from everyone here. Very much appreciated. Can't believe macrumors solved my issue over the customer support from both Apple and Canon, lol.