Need help with my charging port, please...

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
The past few weeks, maybe longer, the main Lightning cable I use to charge my iPhone 6 will stop charging if wiggled around. I thought it was the cable but noticed it with different cables. Researched. Used a toothpick and sewing needle to get out a bunch of fibers from the port. And now it's not charging at all.

I can sort of wiggle the cable around and get the charging noise but the icon either doesn't change or just shows charging for a split second. I got a flashlight and it looks like there's still some fibers in there.

A few questions. Are there any moving parts in there I may have damaged? It doesn't look like there is.

Does anyone have experience taking their Macs to Best Buy for repair? Apple shows as an authorized repair location. Unfortunately AppleCare+ ran out right before I started having issues.

Will Best Buy charge me to examine it? At least to say I broke a pin or something? Apple never has when taking it in.

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I do too. But Apple is 3.5 hours from me and I have a 4 day weekend. I'll closer to there but should be having fun. Since Best Buy is authorized I'm hoping they have good service.

And I kept digging. Think I got it fixed. It's charged the last 30 min in my ProClip charger thing.

Audit13

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If it is the charging port, apple may be able to fix it while you wait whereas best buy may not.

Hopefully, it will continue to work until you have a chance to get the issue diagnosed.