Need help with my charging port, please...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidg4781, Jul 27, 2017.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

The past few weeks, maybe longer, the main Lightning cable I use to charge my iPhone 6 will stop charging if wiggled around. I thought it was the cable but noticed it with different cables. Researched. Used a toothpick and sewing needle to get out a bunch of fibers from the port. And now it's not charging at all.

I can sort of wiggle the cable around and get the charging noise but the icon either doesn't change or just shows charging for a split second. I got a flashlight and it looks like there's still some fibers in there.

A few questions. Are there any moving parts in there I may have damaged? It doesn't look like there is.

Does anyone have experience taking their Macs to Best Buy for repair? Apple shows as an authorized repair location. Unfortunately AppleCare+ ran out right before I started having issues.

Will Best Buy charge me to examine it? At least to say I broke a pin or something? Apple never has when taking it in.

2. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

I prefer taking my stuff to an apple store for diagnosis as I have always received the correct diagnosis and proper course of action.

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

I do too. But Apple is 3.5 hours from me and I have a 4 day weekend. I'll closer to there but should be having fun. Since Best Buy is authorized I'm hoping they have good service.

And I kept digging. Think I got it fixed. It's charged the last 30 min in my ProClip charger thing.

4. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

If it is the charging port, apple may be able to fix it while you wait whereas best buy may not.

Hopefully, it will continue to work until you have a chance to get the issue diagnosed.