Need help with my custom desk.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Orange Furball, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Hello! I have decided to build a desk as all of the ones I find to buy are either ugly or expensive.

I'm making it apple-ish in that it will as minimal as possible. I am using two different parts so far: a hardwood top, and aluminum pipes as legs (they will look very good together)

I have access to the pipe at wholesale prices, and they will only cost $12 for all of them.

My problem: I would like to have my MacBook and my powermac with monitor etc on the desk. I can fit my powermac and everything on the desk, but after adding accessories I will not have room for my MacBook. To fix this issue I plan on having a smaller area that will be perfectly sized for my MacBook on the side of the main desk top.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to attach it. Here is a quick sketch: [​IMG]

The red/pink thing is the MacBook spot and the tan is the desk. So... anyone have any ideas?

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

I'm still having a hard time visualizing what you are trying to achieve from this drawing.

Is it just a plywood extension off the end of the main desk? What's the pink, as opposed the red? Is there some reason the desk can't just be a little longer to accommodate? I also suggest a shelf-type thing at the back to hold stuff, maybe the monitor?

I'm just trying to figure out how the red/pink part relates to the rest of the desk before suggesting a way to attach it.

I just redid my desk which is a stock 90˚ corner desk, but I added numerous shelves and compartments to it to hold my iMac, MacBook Pro, X-Keys, Tablet, iPad/iPhone Dock, letter trays, speakers, printer, office supplies...and nothing is out of arms reach.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Make a mini-me desk at 90º to the main desk, just for the MacPro, and put it left/right under the desk.

You now have room.

If wires are a problem. auger a hole in the desk, behind the monitor, and run various cables through that.

4. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I'm trying to keep it off of the ground. Cats scratch everything plus it'll keep the dust away.

As for the pink thing, I was trying to visualize a slide-out smaller surface.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Unless a PowerMac tower is the height of the desk, keeping it off the floor should not be a problem. In fact, if you allow minimum clearance for cooling, the desk should catch all your dead skin falling from above.

Then I would suggest a slide-out keyboard drawer, modified, IF you have enough wood depth in the desk to take the necessary screws from below, without breaking through the surface.

6. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I think that could work. Would Lowes sell the brackets? I could imagine that if I get a 15x15 piece of the wood and attach it to drawer slide things it could work.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How about IKEA? ;)

Attached Files:

8. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

That is really awkward and ugly to me. One leg on each side looks... just strange tables are supposed to have 4 legs. I can understand going to 6, but down to two makes no sense.

Also I need the slide out piece to go the other way. Something like this?[​IMG]

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK, this dialogue is now over.

If you can't recognize that the other 2 legs have been cropped, I see no sense in continuing.

10. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

:facepalm:

Sometimes I surprise myself with how stupid I am.

Oh well. You have inspired my plan. Thanks.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK my Son, go forth, and sin no more. :p

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

To be fair that picture looks like it's of a desk with two legs.

Where it touches the tabletop on two spots, and then at the bottom splits off for balance.

Like an upside down T shaped leg.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

14. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

That's what I though! Stupid picture cropping.

But wouldn't a table like this would look weird [​IMG]

And unbalanced.

15. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

No, it's surprisingly balanced.

I had an L-shaped table that had 3 legs like that, and it was stable. It also looks fine.

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

17. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I guess it does look OK. Just not what I'm looking for. Plus I already bought the top part of my desk. Only $22 bucks at Lowes! Very solid and nice looking.

And this is my revised plan. I might use the raised part... not sure yet.
    [​IMG]

18. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Ahh! Just tested everything and it all fits on the top! The paper us a ruff outline of the powermac. [​IMG]

Even room for food to the left!

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

If you do want a slide-out shelf for the MacBook, simply go to Home Depot and go to their drawer slide aisle. There are several options for under-mounted slide-out shelves.

20. AppleDApp, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

You could place your mac pro under the desk with a stand. Have a look at this old thread it could give you some ideas. I recommend you sketch out the whole desk before you buy the supplies.

editThis could be good for your power mac

21. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

I have the whole idea done. The thing I put the stuff on is the wood desktop. Attached to that I am putting flanges. There will be 6 legs. The legs will be pipes. Aluminum pipes. I can get them as wholesale price and they can hold everything up. If you look at it from the front it will look like this:

From the sides:

____
    |°°°|

From the back:

Each "|" represents a leg. Each "°" represents blanl space. And each "_" represents the top of the desk.

The flanges will hold the pipe to the desk. The pipes can be removed from the flanges by taking out the set screw, which means the desk can be moved easily. I plan on sanding the wood and putting a clear coat over it. To keep the natural wood color and look, it is also real wood and not particle board. So the screws will be held in well.

Dimensions: L: 48 inches. W: 24 inches. H: 28 inches.
    At the moment there is no need for the slide out MacBook area, however I am going to look into making a drawer. I always loose flash drives and adaptors so it may help. This is all price dependent.

22. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Not sure if anyone cares... but I finished staining the top [​IMG]

I will build the drawer today and be done with it all by Wednesday. All together it will cost $70.

23. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I want to see the final desk please post pictures.

24. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Will do. Should be done tomorrow

25. Orange Furball thread starter macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Here is an in progress shot. Still have to put the drawer on. [​IMG]