need help with my g4 ibook osx install issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bigjoe400, Dec 15, 2011.

1. bigjoe400 macrumors newbie

I have a g4 ibook and i have been trying to install leopard on it, i have a retail copy of leopard and every time i hold c down or have the installer reboot the laptop it brings up the apple logo with the spinning gear and then the screen goes black, i can hear the DVD drive spinning but that's about it, the drive works and the laptop is updated, I'm upgrading from 10.4.11 tiger

specs

1.33 ghz ppc g4

1.5 gig ram

40 gig hard drive

any suggestions would be awesome :D

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I've installed Leopard on almost the same machine via retail dVD. It takes a ginormous amount of time to boot the DVD though. If you boot without the DVD in, then put the DVD in does OSx see the dvd?

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

As old-wiz mentioned it does take a considerable amount of time to boot from a DVD, could the display be going to sleep?

4. bigjoe400 thread starter macrumors newbie

its not going to sleep, it does it right after it finishes through the spinning gear which only takes about a min, its really strange the screen just goes dark, the computer is running tiger right just fine never had hard drive issues or screen problems, i just have to update so i can use iTunes and what not

----------

yea i can access the dvd through tiger, when i put the dvd in it drops a icon on the desktop

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't have any idea if this is the same issue that affecting you but I found mentions on the net of the backlight getting turned off (or not getting turned on) during the installation of Snow Leopard. Apparently, if you use a flashlight you can see what's on the display and continue the installation. After the installation is complete it will work normally.

6. bigjoe400 thread starter macrumors newbie

omg, totally confirmed that my backlight is indeed not turning on i shined a flashlight on the screen and sure enough its there when the screen goes dark, thank you for the help on that one i need to find a more powerful flash light then my pen light :D:D

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Okay, now you're getting somewhere. Let us know if everything turns out okay.

8. bigjoe400 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so i got it to start installing, it went through the install part then the screen went completely black, i can hear the dvd rom drive working the computer is on so i don't want to just shut it off, this is strange I don't really understand why its doing this :confused:

edit: nm it went into sleep mode :)

9. bigjoe400 thread starter macrumors newbie

... i got it all the way installed and the back lighting is not working, i have been trying to Google some solutions but I'm not having much luck, it seems like osx is fully installed i can see the dashboard when i shine the light at my LCD, any help on this would be awesome, the LCD was working fine before i did the install

10. bigjoe400 thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't know why this happened but for some reason the display brightness was turned all the way down, i navigated with the pen light into system preferences and then went into display and cranked it up, it is working just fine now, i want to thank everyone who had ideas, issue resolved

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Wow! Glad to hear that you got it installed and everything is working again. Happy Holidays!