need help with my imac problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wimblestick, Apr 16, 2012.

1. wimblestick macrumors newbie

My imac has a problem it loads with black and grey lines all over the screen and it doesnt load anything.

Ive tried resetting the PRAM and it does the same.

Also tried bootin from the mac cd but if I do this it just loads a black screen with some pink pixels scattered about sometimes other colors too.

Can anybody help me fix it?

It is a 24inch Imac from late 2008 early 2009.

about 6 months ago I replaced the internal hd because it failed and replaced it with a Western Digital Caviar 2TB SATAII 64MB Cache 3.5-inch Green Internal Hard Drive OEM

It worked fine until now

here is a video of how the imac behaves http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8OZfCWds0g

::ALSO:: last time i booted up it stayed on the black and white liney screen but i could hear skype and other programs booting up in the background strange.

any help?

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

It sounds like either a logic board issue or a hardware graphics issue. I would suggest taking it into the Apple store and have it looked at. The genius at the Apple store can run a diagnostic on the computer to pin point the issue. There won't be any charge for the diagnostic so you have nothing to lose.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Yup, it's either logic board or the graphics board has crashed. You can take it in for service however I suspect it may be time to be looking for a new machine.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

cost to fix is probably more than half the cost of a new machine.

5. Puevlo macrumors 6502a