Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viviansrp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
I have a 2 year old Macbook os x version 10.6.8. I've never had a problem with it, but "system preference" or "network preference" started having a problem, they both don't open.. What can I do? No they're not on the application folder or the trash folder. What can I do to get it back? I'm trying to change some stuff. :confused::confused::confused: Should I restore my computer? even if everything gets deleted.

Thank you

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Well, you could have more than one Applications folder and simply be looking in the wrong one. Type "System Preferences" into Spotlight (the magnifying glass) and see if it shows up under Applications. Then you'll be able to find it, if it does.

viviansrp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2011
Well, you could have more than one Applications folder and simply be looking in the wrong one. Type "System Preferences" into Spotlight (the magnifying glass) and see if it shows up under Applications. Then you'll be able to find it, if it does.

Already did that and no... its gone

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You can extract System Preferences from your installation CD. Download the free application for this, called Pacifist. Use it to do the above.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
easiest solution?

Download the latest Combo Updater for Snow Leopard, 10.6.8, from Apple and run it. Use this lnk:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399
This should reinstall those "missing applications" that are not in the applications folder and not disturb your user data. :D:cool::apple::cool::D

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Ok. Um, Pacifist used to be free.

I don't recall it ever being free. However, being shareware, you can use it without paying, you just have to dismiss the dialog box that comes up at the beginning (which makes you wait).

jW

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Alright then, I used to read posts in forums like this all the time saying Pacifist was free. So, if you don't want to pay for it, reinstall your entire OS and that will get System Preferences back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.