Need help with my messenger, all contacts blocked

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by manzur, Jun 22, 2010.

1. manzur macrumors newbie

My messenger for mac is acting weird, all my contacts are blocked, I can't unblock them and also appears this window that tells me that a contact added me to his/her list, the problem is that it happens with all my contacts, even when I accepted them all, the problem persist, and not even adium or mercury has worked, someone has a tip?

2. mattydee87 macrumors regular

That happened to me after I used the new Windows Live iPhone App... To fix, on MSN for Mac I just clicked clear account history (when signing in) and signed in again and it was back to normal

3. 3rd Doctor macrumors member

I had this problem just before, really odd and another Microsoft **** up of the highest order. After some googleing i discovered that following these steps worked:

1. shut msn down
    2. open up the folder: /user/library/preferences/microsoft/
    3. remove "Microsoft Messenger User Cache.plist"

4. manzur thread starter macrumors newbie

it worked

It worked perfectly, I gave it clear account history and now is working ok, and it only lost the emoticon, wich is not a problen actually, thanks!!!!

5. Kellie Sharp macrumors newbie

Kellie Sharp

i've found MSN for Mac seriously bugger (i've had my first Mac for less than a week and have already dumped the program!). Not only was it doing that to me as well, but people would message me and the messages wouldn't come through until i logged into MSN from my PC at work the next day.

I have switched to a program called Adium and, although I wasn't convinced about it's appearance at first, after just 24 hours i've come to like it.

IM is very important to me as my partner is away for a week at a time (or longer) whilst he's working and we use it a lot to communicate.

Good luck!

6. BadWolf13 macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problem you described. 3rd Doctor, that file you describe doesn't exist. Mattydee, your suggestion only solves half the problem. My contacts aren't blocked anymore, but every time I sign in, it still asks me to add every contact that was ever on my MSN for the history of my account.

Kellie, what is this adium thing? Is this one of those third party chat programs that let's you log into various chats?

7. queenci macrumors newbie

sign on the msn that has all the contacts blocked..go to the top..click contacts...then privacy...then click on each contact thats in the blocked list and move them across into your alowed list..mines fine now