Need help with my new Mac Pro... RAM issue.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Imperil, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Imperil macrumors member

I just got my new Mac Pro and installed a second 8800GT which works perfectly fine, and also 8GB (2x4) of OWC RAM. When I boot the system it now says 8GB RAM instead of the 10GB I have installed (8GB from OWC and 2GB default Apple).

I have them installed as:

Riser 1:
    2GB | 2GB | 2GB | 2GB

Riser 2:
    empty | empty | 1GB | 1GB

The little book that came with the system said if I had 3 pairs to use slots 3&4 which is why I set it up that way. Are there any issues with doing this?

Do I have the RAM in the right slots? How can I set this up to see the full 10GB?

Thanks!

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You can't leave slots 1 and 2 empty on Riser B. That's why your Apple RAM isn't getting addressed.

You should install

A1 2GB
    A2 2GB

B1 2GB
    B2 2GB

A3 1GB
    A4 1GB

B3 Empty
    B4

Welcome to MR. You'll find that this and many other commonly asked questions are answered under the Guides tab at the top of this window.
    Guides: Hardware: Understanding Intel Mac RAM

Generally, you want to have a look in the Guides, or do a Search in the forums before posting a new topic.

3. Imperil thread starter macrumors member

My apologies I will definitely check the guides first next time. Thanks for answering the question, I'm going to power down and fit the configuration right now! :)

EDIT: Works great now, 10GB showing :) Thanks again!

4. OWC Larry macrumors member

OWC Larry

Glad already all good... But dang, we've got all sorts of detail install help right online:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/how_to_install/Apple/Mac_Pro_Memory_800Mhz_2008

:)

5. Imperil thread starter macrumors member

Larry, yeah my problem was instead of looking at the OWC help I was looking at that little booklet you get with the Mac Pro, and it actually told me to do it the wrong way :)

6. Delameko macrumors member

It didn't tell you wrong, you just mis-understood.

Its saying if you've got three pairs you should slots 3 & 4 on the first riser, and not split the pair between the two risers.

Glad you got it sorted.