Need help with my SSD/HDD combo Install (The software side)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ebaydan777, Mar 4, 2013.

1. ebaydan777, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

ebaydan777 macrumors member

hey everyone, I searched the forum for the last couple hours and been soaking in all the information but I'm left with some questions.

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" (9,1 2.6GHz i7 model). I am replacing my 1TB HDD with the SSD and placing the HDD where the Optical Drive was.

My question is this, currently all my files are backed up to my Time Machine and I want to install a fresh copy of Mountain Lion onto my SSD. I have roughly 300 GB used so far in my HDD and the OWC is only a 120GB 6gb/sata drive. So i cant just clone the drive over because theres not enough space.

How would I go about getting all the applications smoothly over to the SSD from my HDD? Would I just install Mountain Lion on the new drive, boot onto that (while the HDD remains the same) and slowly copy paste from one drive to the other, is that even possible? Or using Time Machine?

I basically just want the OS and all the apps (itunes, iphoto, CS6, ec etc in /applications) to be on my SSD while my music files and personal folders are left on the HDD.

How would I do this simply without creating a huge headache. Any help is appreciated as my drive comes tomorrow and I am eager to get it running.

Thanks!!

Edit: I also have Carbon Copy Cloner at my disposal. I noticed on there I can un-check the /Users folder, which is basically all my home directory files (which I am assuming I can copy back over from my Time Machine after I wipe the HDD clean? but the cloner will clone all my applications etc needed to move over. Are there important OS files that arent needed (since my SSD will have a clean install anyways?) or is it the best idea to just clone everything and move it to SSD...

2. ebaydan777 thread starter macrumors member

Bump for some advice please! My SSD just arrived at my door and I don't want to touch anything until I can figure out the software side if the install...

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Assuming you have a good, recent time machine backup, I would create a fusion drive. Then use Internet Recovery for a fresh OSX install and import programs, settings, etc. from time machine during setup assistant.

4. ebaydan777 thread starter macrumors member

this seems rather simple,

i also followed the SSD tweaks guide above. Can I get more info on the fusion drive and how apple works that?

and if this is done during install, will I have the option to transfer all my app (licenses etc attached) with ease? and my home directory which contains my music/pictures/desktop/downloads folders? Because I want that to stay on the HDD

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

Orlandoech's fusion guide above explains about fusion drives and how they operate as well as how to. It manages the data. Build it and forget it. The system sees it as one drive.

YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON BOTH DRIVES when you create it. Make sure you have a backup!

During OSX install, setup assistant will ask if you want to recover settings, programs, etc. from time machine backup. This will load all programs, settings, preferences, etc. onto the new fusion drive.

6. ebaydan777 thread starter macrumors member

is the Fusion Drive quicker or more reliable than the hybrid? Honest question, or would it be better to separate the two?

7. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

The fusion drive is basically a hybrid drive with a larger flash memory. More programs, osx, etc. reside on the SSD portion of the drive. As far as reliability goes, because it is in fact 2 drives, if you lose 1 you probably lose all data. Obviously backup is very important.

If you are going to keep the drives separate, I would keep the home folder on the SSD to have faster access to caches, and other info, and just move the large data folders like iTunes media folder and iPhoto library to HDD. Typically, that should free up enough space for your SSD. Here's how:

iTunes:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

iPhoto:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2506

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I had similar issue and here's what i did:

1) Copy all the media files (files that you don't want to be in SSD) to another HDD then delete them on the original HDD .
    2) Put your SSD into an enclosure and use CCC to clone the original HDD. In your case, fresh install ML.
    3) Format the 1TB HDD and copy all the files you copied back to it.