Need help with my wireless

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ercanbas, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ercanbas macrumors regular

Okay so I have decided to turn to the lovely people at the MR forums since they are obviously the smartest when it comes to this type of issue.

My house is two stories and my modem and wireless router are on the first floor and I do most of my work on the second floor. The problem is the connection is weak on the second floor. I can't move my modem or router or around or take it upstairs either. What can I do to boost my signal? Is where some type of network booster or a device I can pick up?

Your help is very much appreciated.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I think there is something you can buy like an airport express to pick up the signal and extend it. You could place it between the two floors in a wall outlet or something. Has anyone done something like this?

3. ercanbas thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of that but doesn't airport express need an ethernet cable?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

it probably does I'm not sure though. I would double check on the apple website. Maybe there is anoter computer you could attach it to or something?

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

No, you can use an airport express to merely extend an existing wireless network. There is an ethernet jack, but it's not necessary to use.

6. jk111 macrumors regular

If you have a little more money to spend, I would recommend the airport extreme. You would be able to put that on the first floor and get great signal/speed on the second floor.

I purchased an airport extreme a little over a year ago and have been nothing but pleased with it. The signal strength is amazing and it is very very fast.

Good luck

jk111