Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I was using it with comcast no problem. I switched to fiber optic internet and now it doesn't work. I subscribed to 30mbps down and 15mbps up service. It should still work correct? Can someone help me determine if some settings need to change? The internet works when bypassing the wireless router and plugging into my macbook.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I was using it with comcast no problem. I switched to fiber optic internet and now it doesn't work. I subscribed to 30mbps down and 15mbps up service. It should still work correct? Can someone help me determine if some settings need to change? The internet works when bypassing the wireless router and plugging into my macbook.

If you have Verizon FiOS, then it's an issue with the Actiontec router they give you. I'm guessing other FiberOptic ISP's do something similar.

I had two choices when I switched from Cable to FiOS.

1. Turn off the DCHP feature of the FiOS router (in my case, it was an Actiontec router) and use the DCHP feature on my Airport Extreme.

2. Use the DCHP feature of the Actiontec and put my Airport into Bridge mode.

Since FiOS TV doesn't quite work right if the Actiontec isn't doing the DCHP duties, I chose option 1.

I would suggest to you to put your Netgear into Bridge mode. Not sure if Netgear calls it Bridge mode.

Hope that helps.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
If you have Verizon FiOS, then it's an issue with the Actiontec router they give you. I'm guessing other FiberOptic ISP's do something similar.

I had two choices when I switched from Cable to FiOS.

1. Turn off the DCHP feature of the FiOS router (in my case, it was an Actiontec router) and use the DCHP feature on my Airport Extreme.

2. Use the DCHP feature of the Actiontec and put my Airport into Bridge mode.

Since FiOS TV doesn't quite work right if the Actiontec isn't doing the DCHP duties, I chose option 1.

I would suggest to you to put your Netgear into Bridge mode. Not sure if Netgear calls it Bridge mode.

Hope that helps.

I don't have FiOS, my fiber provider setup goes cat5 from the wall directly into my own router. I now figured out how to get it to work with MAC cloning I believe it was but i'm only getting 50% of the speed i'm supposed to get. I pay for 30 down and i'm getting 15 down. I tried another router and I get the same thing. I'm sure it's a setting i'm missing, but what is it? Both routers are capable far beyond 15mbps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.