Need help with network profile

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mus0r, Apr 11, 2014.

1. mus0r macrumors regular

We recently locked down our wireless with WPA and now have the daunting task for getting 730 Macs on the network. The 10.6 machines we'll have to do by hand, as far as I can tell, but I need help using profiles for 10.7+ Macs.

I made a profile, which works on devices that weren't previously connected, but anything that was on the network before gets an error. It won't overwrite the old settings and makes you add the WPA key manually. We aren't giving the key to staff.

So what can I do to remove the old saved network and add the profile in the most efficient way?

Thanks!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The easiest way would have been to change the network name. Since now they are trying to say "Hey, AP! I was friends with you, can I connect?" The AP with WPA says "If you have the key", The Mac say "Well there is no key" and fails to acknowledge the new profile you made.

When you change your network password or security, it shows as a new network. You would need to move the old unsecured network down or remove it to make room for the new one.

Essentially, say I had SmithWireless. If in the process I add WPA2 security (best for most users) and left it SmithWireless, the Mac remembers two networks.

3. mus0r thread starter macrumors regular

And if we can't/won't change the SSID? What is the next best idea?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you have Apple Remote Desktop? Because sending an AppleScript would work.

5. mus0r thread starter macrumors regular

Sure do. Do you know what the script would be that I would have to send?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Essentially, you could run a shell script to remove the name from the Keychain, but it would probably be easier to sit at your workstation with AppleScript editor up and set to "Record" as you open System Preferences go to network etc. Just write a "display dialog" so your users know whats going on. Then toss the profile out to them to hook them to the new network.