Need help with Networking in Fusion 2

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lokipower, Nov 26, 2008.

1. lokipower macrumors member

Greeting everyone. I recently upgraded to Fusion 2, so far so good. One exception, I can not figure the networking out.

Here is my need. I would like to have a static IP address assigned to Windows regardless of whether I am booted using Bootcamp or Fusion. I run several applications requiring me to setup my router to point directly to this machine.

Seems simple enough, I know, but somehow, I can not connect at all, (even if I use DHCP). I know I am missing something very basic. Please help with settings in Fusion and or bootcamp, (which of course Fusion uses), to allow networking, (internet connection).

On another note, perhaps I have not noticed it before, but why is Windows now using Windows Internet Sharing? I never had that up on any of my PC's, not sure why it is showing up on the Mac, is it needed, am I overcomplicating things?:confused:

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Fusion lets you set up the virtual ethernet interface several ways. What you want is what fusion called bridged which means the the Mac and the virtual PC share the samephysical ethernet hardware. Other modes alow things like a virtual network that only the VM and Mac can see. Select the one that shares hardware. Also you would need to assign your PC an IP address on the same network as the Mac and router

3. lokipower thread starter macrumors member

Thank you ChrisA, I thought i did that, but perhaps I messed something up. I will start over and go bridged. Thank you for explaining that to me, as i did not know exactly what the different modes were. Question, when in bootcamp can i use the same ip or would it need to be different?

UPDATE: I got it working, things seemed fine, then all of a sudden, no more internet. I can go to the command prompt and ping both an ip address known to me inside and outside of the network, as well as a resolved name, (Yahoo.com), but no internet... I can not even go to my router typing my internal IP address for the router. Any ideas on this?

4. lokipower thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again, turns out, I had a problem with my router. Had to reset it.

Anyone recommend a good router for pretty heavy downloads? I am currently using a BEFSX41 from linksys....Old I know, but it seemed to not give me any problems with the amount stuff that comes across its path.