need HELP with new hdd

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macforthewin, Feb 5, 2009.

1. macforthewin macrumors newbie

hi everyone i am thinking of buying a new 1tb hdd for my mac.
    i am not sure if i should buy the wd caviar black 1tb internal or the wd my book essential 1tb external

can someone help me decide they r same price and if i buy the caviar black i was also going to buy a enclosure to use as external hdd.
    i am not sure if i should buy the mybook essential because i heard some bad reviews about crashing in 2 weeks
    havent heard anything like that about the caviar black

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

do you have a mac pro? if you currently have only one hard drive, there's no need to get an external drive. just install another internal drive.

3. POLOgt macrumors member

POLOgt

IF you do have a Mac Pro,

Buy Western Digital RE series of drives. Either RE2, RE2-GP or RE3.
    Do not go with regular drives, go with enterprise drives.

4. macforthewin thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a macpro and all bays r full so i wanted to buy a 1tb caviar to use as external for more space

5. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Do not bother with your own enclosure, If it were me I would use a pre made solution. Try and go ensure you have FW and eSata though.

6. macforthewin thread starter macrumors newbie

sry i am bit of noob but wat u mean by pre made solution?
    and i dont wana spend too much on a enclosure just need one that wont kill the hdd and keep it safe and i dont really need the fw usb is fine

7. tom. macrumors 6502

tom.

Get a WD myBook, Lacie Quadra or Iomega external hard drives. They will garuntee the whole unit then, whereas you might get problems putting a hard drive in a 3rd party enclosure. Why do you need the Caviar black? If you are only going to use USB it will be slow anyway.

8. macforthewin thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Chaywa macrumors member

There is where you are wrong (said in all niceness possible). We don't want to say we told you so later on down the line. It sounds like you have a lot of data. At some point you WILL find yourself moving this data in large chunks on to or off of this drive. I don't care what the USB spec says I have always found it to be significantly slower than firewire 400 and definitely slower than FW 800/esata. I move large amounts of data constantly and waiting for USB speed is like nails on a blackboard.

10. macforthewin thread starter macrumors newbie

so i should get an enclosure with support for usb and fw 400?
    do u have any u can recommend taht will support the caviar black?
    from what i have been told the enclosure must support 3gbps, sata II and 1tb