Need help with next Mac purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bumzo1, Oct 28, 2009.

1. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I purchased a 24" iMac back in march and have finally saved up enough money to buy my next toy(s). When I switched to Mac I loved it so much and ended up selling my PC laptop (which sucked but it was a laptop). Now I kind of want a macbook pro 13". Its not that I travel a lot I just enjoy being able to surf the web in bed/on the couch and be able to take it downstairs to show presentations etc but I also love my desktop setup and want to add onto it a bit. I know that 24" is already huge but I like a lot of screen real estate for when I'm gaming, editing in CS4/FCE, and general web browsing. (I like a lot of windows) My question is which option should I choose?

1. Base Macbook Pro 13" (I don't need any upgrades because I have my imac and I don't want a Macbook because of the lack of firewire)

$1099 (on edu discount)

2. Dell u2410 24" monitor IPS monitor (possibly a wall mount) and Xbox 360 elite and Logitech Z4i speakers

~ $850 (will buy during black friday)

3. Apple 24" LED cinema display refurb (possibly a wall mount) and Bose companion 3s

~ $850

2. bumzo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I would say get the MBP, but that's just me. You know you love Macs and would want to take it around with you. I think you'd get more out of that rather than a 2nd monitor.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you know the important thing for gaming is the video card? You need a computer with dedicated gpu.

5. bumzo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know that I have the iMac for that. it has the gt120 and that runs the games that I play fine

6. johndavidwright macrumors member

7. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

8. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Do you need a portable? If yes, get the mbp. If no, go with option 2.

9. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502