Need Help with Online Storage...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by volntitan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. volntitan macrumors 6502

OK....need some help here. My daughter is in Europe for 3 months and I thought, being a good dad, I would digitize her favorite shows and post them up on a site so she could download the .mov file and watch her programs. I posted it up on an site we use at work, but it isn't working for her. So I thought I would try a free online storage/sharing service and see if that works. Here is what I need:

1) Preferably Free.

2) ability to upload at least 200 mb. file or more.

3) work with Macs.

4) Easy. Since I'm not there to show her how it works, I need it to be easy to figure out.

Any advice you can give. Looked at Adrive and Xdrive, but don't know much about them.

2. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

3. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but there is an upload limit of 100mb per file.

4. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Any other suggestions? The fact that I am uploading them here and she is trying to connect from France doesn't affect anything does it?

5. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

Free might be somewhat difficult in this instance, especially for the file sizes you're talking about. With that being said, I signed up for these guys over the weekend. I'm still feeling it out but so far it's alright

edit: i just looked at media fire and i'm digging that site! I can't see myself using this drivehq site really.

6. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know Free is tough to find. I like Mediafire as well but the 100mb upload limit is a problem. What do you like or dislike with Drive HQ?

7. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Dropbox

You get 2 GB storage space.

You have a folder on your computer, your daughter has a folder on her computer, sync the two folders together and you can both read and write to the folder. There is no limit to the file size. The web interface however has a 350 MB size limit.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Isn't Dropbox invite only?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it actually just ended its beta phase and went live.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=561127&highlight=dropbox

But OP, do be careful... what you are doing is fairly close to piracy, and so you are susceptible to having your account(s) closed and/or more serious action being taken. Technically it isn't really clear that you have a right to move videos in this fashion. Granted, your usage is harmless, but you should be wary of it not being perceived that way by file sharing sites.

10. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Have you tried google? its not just a search engine you know :) They do video http://video.google.com/

Sign up, you upload your vids,(100mbs via their site, however you can download their desktop uploader to upload anything bigger then 100mbs.) Its unlimited storage and best of all is completely free.

You can make your videos private by following the instructions http://video.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=48320 which is what I use for my familys home videos that I share with my brothers and their families...