Need help with organizing photo in iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by danny8200, Apr 22, 2015.

1. danny8200, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015

danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I'm trying to do this on my iPhone itself.

iOS 8.3 with iCloud photo library turned on.

I created a photo album titled "other" to move some pictures from my main camera roll to keep them separate From all my other photos. Everything copied ok, but when I try to delete the newly moved pictures from the main camera roll it also deletes the same photo from the new "other" album. So I end up with duplicate photos.
    Am i missing something here?

2. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

Nope, your not missing anything. That is the way it works. The pictures will remain in your camera roll, but you can move them to other folders for quicker access. Moving the pictures to the newly created folders does not move them from the camera roll however.

3. danny8200 thread starter macrumors 65816

danny8200

4. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Need help with organizing photo in iOS

As a rule, albums don't actually "move" photos at all, they simply create another reference to them. You can have the same photo in multiple albums, and deleting a photo from an album won't delete it from other albums or your library.

If you're trying to get a view that only shows photos that are not in any albums, you can create one using the smart albums feature of Photos for Mac. Sadly, smart albums do not currently show up on iOS devices.

5. danny8200 thread starter macrumors 65816

danny8200

Thanks. If i'm understanding this correctly, the only way to really delete a photo would be to delete it from the main camera roll itself? And of course from the recently deleted folder after.

There has to be a better way to organize photos and keep them separate from one another without having a central repository with everything mixed in together and simply having "pointers" to them in other folders/albums.

6. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

The paradigm works better on the Mac version of photos where you have more options. In addition to being able to use Smart Albums to create more complex views, Photos on the Mac lets you completely delete a photo from an album view - so that it is entirely removed from your library. As far as I can tell, the iOS app does not have any way to do this.