Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2008
UK
I have an original iPod, the 5GB version. I was syncing it yesterday when I accidentally pulled the iPod firewire cable out as it was syncing. No big deal I thought, I'll just try restore it.

So I tried several times, and each time it came up with an error saying that the iPod cannot be restored as it is being used. (This error here:http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1372)

I've tried all the things the support document said to do, but to no avail. Although I did try it later and instead of that error it gave me another one saying something like "iPod cannot be restored as it has files currently used by another application", or something along those lines.

I did a bit of googling to try and delve deeper, and all I could really find was that I had to completely wipe the iPod in disk utility. However, I have also tried this several times, and it won't even let me restore it that way, coming up with another error.

Any ideas? Do you think the HDD could be completely kaputt just from pulling the cable out while it was syncing?

Thanks for any help guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.