Need Help With Picking More Displays and RAM For Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by raptorsoft2000, Oct 21, 2010.

1. raptorsoft2000 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I've viewed the forums many times in the past, but had never registered. I registered just now, thought I had done it in the past. It's amazing how many logins you can amass for internet sites, eh? Anyway...
    I have a 2006 I believe Mac Pro. It's an early one, it's only a 2xdual for a total of 4 cores operating at like 2.66 I think. I have it running a 30in cinema by Apple that I bought with the original Mac Pro, and also a smaller 19in I think Dell monitor. I want to get rid of the dell 19 and I was thinking of going with like 3 additional 30 inchers, but of course them being like what, 2k each still is it? I can't afford THAT much. But back to Dell again, they have this... http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Video_Conferencing/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3913945&~ck=bnsnphome&~bk=gr:HomeRec_default,g:MostPopular,rk: And I was thinking of getting 3 of those, so I would have a four cornered square, although the 30Cinema wouldn't fit well aesthetically, so I might get 2 of the big ones for mounting on the wall above my Cinema and keep the 19. But anyway, regardless of the configuration I decide, the question I have is this.... Can I use the 42 inch Sharp in my Mac Pro at full resolution and will I be able to read text, or will it be clear for movies? What should I do in this case? OWC has this.... http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/VIDU2DVIA/ That I think I would use to hook up the Sharp 42's, so using that little adapter with the attachment for HDMI, and with the Sharp 42's, would that be an ideal solution that other people on this board would use? Or should I just try to save up for the Apple Cinemas? Or should I add an additional video card in to support the new monitors? Or both?
    Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. And I'll definitely post back if and when I get all this done...

Also, if anyone knows anything about ram for the mac pro, is the one listed on OWC's site for 32 gb, it's like around 1000 or maybe more, is that good for my mac? I've been noticing REALLY bad slowdowns even when just operating iTunes and maybe Firefox, or sometimes just 1 app open.

Thanks,
    Jesse

2. raptorsoft2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I would add that I read on a few different sites after posting here that more than 16 or even 12 is overkill on RAM. Would anyone tend to think 32 gb is more than just bragging rights and that it's actually useful?