Need help with PowerBook WiFi Setup

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Merkava_4, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Merkava_4, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

PowerBook G4 800 MHz circa 2003
    OS 10.3.9
    Safari 1.3.2

Here I'm opening AirPort and selecting Open Internet Connect:

[​IMG]

Here it's wanting me to select a network:

[​IMG]

Here I've selected Network ATT511 which is my new U-verse service.

[​IMG]

Here it's asking me to enter my U-verse Key Number which is 7837432115:

[​IMG]

Here is after I've entered in the key number and this is the Error Message I get:

[​IMG]

It seems as though the PowerBook sees the WiFi signal, but it's not letting me join the network. Why?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try connecting to the network using the Airport menu item's Other option and not the Internet Connection app. Also, you can only connect to a WEP or WPA network. You cannot connect to a WPA2 network.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

As Intell said, the issue may be in the fact that your router is set up using WPA2, or even WPA with an encryption other than TKIP.

With the original Airport card in your computer, you can only connect to WEP networks or WPA/TKIP networks.

If you remove the airport card, you can put an Airport Extreme Compatible PCMCIA card in the slot and connect to pretty much any current WiFi protocol. This option will cost you ~$10, and also leave you with a big bulge on the side of your computer.

Alternatively, many routers will allow you to set up an unencrypted "guest" network that's separate from your main network. I did this on my router, and have no issues connecting any WiFi equipped Mac to it(even under OS 9) without compromising security. For a while, I had a separate router(an old "flying saucer" Apple Airport Extreme) set up with WEP encrytion(which is as good as having none at all, although it does allow OS 9 computers to connect). Its proximity to my other router caused signal strength issues from both, and I felt this was less secure than the router's guest account.

4. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So even though the PowerBook sees the signal, it won't let me join the network because it's using the wrong network protocol?

So you're saying I need to first remove the internal Airport card and then plug an external Airport card into that slot on the left side of the computer?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, it may not be able to connect to it because it is the encryption is too advanced for it.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Yes, don't try to use both at the same time under OS X. It won't hurt anything, but you also won't get either to work. I speak from experience.

BTW, for internet use, I'd suggest upgrading to 10.4 so that you can use TenFourFox. There are no currently maintained browsers for 10.3.

Alternatively, drop your router's encryption down to WEP or WPA/TKIP. I don't necessarily recommend either option, although WEP is your only option if you want WiFi with the airport card under OS 9.

7. ptdebate macrumors 6502

ptdebate

Not entirely true--the OP can run Classilla in Classic but the experience will be far from optimal.

8. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If I did that, would my MacBook Pro be able to use the WEP network? It's a 2007 model and it's able to connect to the new U-verse router just fine.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Classilla is a browser for OS 9, not 10.3. Running it inside of a virtualized OS 9 does not constitute as being designed for 10.3.9.

10. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Speaking as someone who has done it, its also a horrendous experience and not something that I can in good conscience suggest to someone. Most recently-just for the heck of it-I tried it on a 1ghz PB running 10.3.9(was on the computer when I received it) with 1gb of RAM. This is better hardware the OP is using, and it was still miserable.

I'm going to keep beating a dead horse. If you want to browse the web on a PowerPC computer, either use OS 9 or use OS X 10.4 or 10.5. OS 9 has Classilla, while 10.4 has Tenfourfox. 10.5(which the OPs Powerbook can run with minimal work) has both TenFourFox and Leopard Webkit.

If I can't get 10.4 or later on a computer, it's exclusively an OS 9 machine. The only notable exception to that is my G4 that has all OS X versions installed. The iMac I got free this week had 10.3 installed, which lasted about 15 minutes(of course, I also changed the hard drive and ripped off the display connector in the process-hence my looking for a logic board :rolleyes: ). BTW, I'm not aware of a New World ROM Mac which can not run 10.4, although some may require a bit of extra work(in the form of XPostFacto) to get it working. OWR Rom Macs with G3 processors can also run it with the help of Xpostfacto, as can even older computers if a G3 or G4 upgrade is installed.

I'm working now on putting Leopard on a PowerMacintosh 8600 :)

11. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

By the way, this is the router I'm trying to work with.

Intell & Bunnspecial, I appreciate your help very much.

12. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

My experience with iBooks & Powerbooks is the same as yours even running 10.4 - Airport cant make a connection to a WPA network until I update Tiger to 10.4.11.

WPA is much more secure than WEP but not as secure as WPA2 - but it will be seen by your other hardware, it's your call to go to a lower rate of security. I've done it in the past.

13. Merkava_4, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well fellas, I finally got connected. Someone on another forum informed me of a special AT&T web page that I can go to--to make changes to the settings on the modem. All this time I was wondering why there's no buttons on the modem; now I know why. This PowerBook can run on both WEP and WPA encryption settings. The frequency on the modem must be set to 802.11b.

The only issue I'm having now is that I get disconnected from the WiFi network after the PowerBook goes to sleep and I have to re-log into the network each time.

14. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Welcome to the sometimes quirky world of PPC!

I've not had that specific problem, but often do have to re-login on a fresh reboot. I also find that when I take computers to school, I often have to go through the process of connecting at the beginning of the day.

I've found that manually adding a network through "Network Preferences" can sometimes cure the issue.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

I have that with a couple of Powerbooks. In my case it seems to be related to a dead PRAM battery as they also do not retain time and date.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I use Location X. With a laptop without Location X you can enter different locations in your Network settings and switch between them manually as you move about.

Location X though does this automatically for you. I can change printers, run Applescripts, open apps, etc, all based on your location.

When I'm at Starbucks it automatically calls up a Fluid app intended only to load the Starbucks web login page. Click connect and quit that app and I'm on my way in my normal browser.

P.S. I have only had issues having to re-enter network passwords if the time and date defaulted back to 1969. Make sure you are checking the box that says something like "Store in keychain" or something when you enter your password.

I have an extremely long hex password for our home WiFI and re-entering the password every time I wake a Mac is not an option. Not to mention the grief I'd get from my family.