Need Help With PS3 Networking

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Steve Jobless, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Steve Jobless macrumors 6502

I researched this problem before but couldn't come up with a good solution. I have a linksys WRT54G router (wireless) and a PS3 that's connected wirelessly. I also have a D-Link router that's not used often. Let me clarify beforehand, I can't switch the routers out and don't really want to and that both routers are far away from each other and I would have to move my PS3 to use the D-Link.

I love my linksys, it's what I use to connect to my MBP and media center PC. But I have this problem that I can't figure out. Anytime I turn on my PS3 or change games my network is restarted. Which means I have to wait for my system to log back in, and Adium to log back in and stop using the internet on my computer. I realize this problem was caused by the UPnP configuration on the PS3 and my router. But since I have a Media Center PC (which runs ORB) I can't really turn off the router's UPnP. I know on pre-2.42 firmware you could easily turn it off. I went through the custom settings and turned it off but I still have the issue.

When I turn off the media servers everything works well with no issues, but when I turn it off my Orb folders go away,, which defeats the purpose of having it. It's conveniet when I don't want to load all of the music I like onto my hard-drive. It also prevents me from having to use the browser to open said files (still have to for TV though). Also my linksys is much faster.

As for the D-Link it's not attached to any media and doesn't have any restart issues. But it is VERY slow and drops my PS3 quite a bit. The computer it is attached to is very old, rarely used and takes 10-15 minutes to load and would take a long time to change routers and install software.

Sorry for the long read appreciate any and all help.

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I have a WRT54G v5, 1.02.2 FW
    Ps3 60gig using wireless with WPA-PSK AES, static IP

I don't have this issue myself. (I'm not using PnP either though.)

Have you tried updating the firmware on the router?

3. Steve Jobless thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe mine is a v6. I dont have the newest firmware mainly because I'm terrified of bricking my router. I believe there was a homebrew version that fixed the issues. I'll look into it.

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

You'd need a WRT54G v1-v4 or a WRT54GL to run Linux...the recent 54G's have VxWorks and aren't flashable (AFAIK).

Adding homebrew firmware is more dangerous at bricking the router than simply updating the firmware...I'd try updating the official firmware first if I were you. It's not too hard at all; the only thing to remember is to do it from a computer using a wired connection to the router, not a wireless one (and they even tell you to do it that way anyway). ;)