need help with recording in garage band

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by itouchg1, Jan 17, 2009.

1. itouchg1 macrumors newbie

I have tried to record from a CD to Garage Band. It seems to work but my problem is that it is also recording external noise. How can I fix this?

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You can't, GB is not meant to rip CD's. You can record using either the built in Mic or an instrument using the input jack.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Ripping a CD is a native feature of iTunes as long as you don't mind the tracks ending up as AAC or MP3 format. See here for instructions. There's also a video tutorial as a link to access if you're more of a visual learner.

4. gvdv macrumors regular

I haven't actually tried this, because I haven't got around to fooling around with audio editing beyond using GarageBand or some of the other DAW's, but you might want to download Audacity (free, and works with Macs and PC's, I think), and import the CD track you're working with, and work on it there before exporting to GB.

Now, this is just a guess because I haven't read anything about Audacity for a while and can't remember the music file formats it imports from and exports to, but this might be a possibility for helping you edit the file to reduce the noise that you're hearing.

All the best,
    GVDV