Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Broc27

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Hello there!

I bought a mac mini server last year for my small company and used it to share files with my associates. Recently I realized how wasted this server was for simple file sharing between three persons so I decided to sell it to someone who would use more of its abilities. However I think I made a big mistake while doing this.

Before handing the server to the buyer I copied all of the shared folders onto my iMac and then erased the HDD of the server. So far so good.

Now my problem is that I want to transfer those folders to my Mac Pro (via firewire and target disk mode) and the system won't let me do it; it gives me an error every time (-41). Moreover the usual time machine backup for my iMac stopped working since the files were transferred on it.

My suspicion is that permissions are doing this. I have hundreds of folders and files and on the server they had different permissions for different users. But this is just a guess...

So, how can I transfer the files on my new Mac Pro? I need them, they represent a full year of work!

Thanks for the help...

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Have you made sure the mounted drive from the iMac is set to "Ignore Permissions"?

Broc27

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Yes, it is checked, permissions (privileges?) are supposed to be ignored.

Broc27

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Someone on another forum suggested I try to transfer the files and folders in small batches. I tried and it mysteriously worked. I managed to transfer everything folder by folder; it was arduous but it did the job.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Someone on another forum suggested I try to transfer the files and folders in small batches. I tried and it mysteriously worked. I managed to transfer everything folder by folder; it was arduous but it did the job.

System Error -41 represents a memory insuffient error.

Code:
mFulErr	Memory full (open) or file won't fit (load)

this will explain why you could copy in smaller batches. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.