Need Help with Remote Access

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robjulo, Nov 25, 2011.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

I am trying to use remote access to my computer on our company windows based network.

On my Vista laptop, I am able to connect to my computer at work by opening the browser an typing mail.mycompanyname.com/remote. It then lets me either look at mail only or to connect to a computer (among other options). I can then log in and virtually control my computer.

I know I cannot go through the browser to do the above with my macbookpro because of the lack of Active X, so therefore I am using the Remote Desktop Connection" which came with Office for Mac. I was hoping to be able to use a similar process described above to connect.

However, when I type the server name above, it will not connect, it tells me the "windows-based computer cannot be found". If I remove the "/remote" it will connect, lets me log in, but gives me no way to connect to my PC at work.

Any ideas?

2. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I stumbled on a way to get it to work. Once I logged in, I found a connect remotely to computer button on the server, I then typed my computer name in and bingo, I was connected to my compute.

When I exited I saved that connection and am now able to connect directly to my own computer.