Need help with reseting my iPod Touch G2...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jshuldawg, Feb 7, 2011.

1. jshuldawg macrumors newbie

jshuldawg

I have a bit of a conundrum...:confused:
    My wife recently received a brand new iPod Touch, and naturally I would love to take her old iPod Touch G2. I tried restoring to factory and resetting the unit, but here is the problem. My wife is running OSX snow leopard w/ iTunes 10; however, my computer is a Power PC pre-intel running OSX10.4.11 and iTunes 9. Every time I plug it into my computer, it gives me the message that the ipod cannot run on my version of iTunes and I must install iTunes 10 (which is impossible on my OSX).

Can anyone be of any help in getting this iPod to completely clear and run a firmware that is compatible with my OSX and iTunes?!?!

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

well I don't think you can really downgrade unless your iPod is a non MC version of the 2g. You would then have to put the iPod in DFU mode, download the firmware that goes with iTunes 9 (I think 3.2.1 was the last) and then option click on the restore button in itunes and select the firmware. (the ipsw)

3. jshuldawg thread starter macrumors newbie

jshuldawg

Please forgive my ignorance, but "non MC version"?

4. Pgohlke macrumors 6502

all iPods have a serial on the back and the ones that start with MC have an updated bootloader (whats starts the iPod) so they have troubles with downgrading.