Need help with resizing mac OS X partition as well as windows partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drummerdimitri, Nov 15, 2008.

1. drummerdimitri macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, i have a macbook pro on which i've installed windows xp, i made the mac and windows partition equal which was a mistake thinking will use them as much as one another, but it turned out to be that I'm barely or never using my windows on my mac, and I'm running out of space very quickly. I need to know how to make the windows partition smaller and the mac partition larger. I need an answer quickly because i've only got 4 Gb's left on my mac partition and 40 Gb's left on the windows one. Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You can refer to the three step process I posted last night in the thread at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=600578

Just pay attention to the FAQs I mentioned in regards to the link I provided to Winclone. You will find information in those FAQs regarding restoring the Winclone image to a larger or smaller Windows partition.

Note- if you don't mind just reinstalling Windows, the procedure is simpler-

-Run Boot Camp Assistant and use the option to restore your hard drive to a single Mac OSX partition (which will wipe out the BootCamp partition)
    -Run the BootCamp Assistant and start over with establishing a new BootCamp partiton
    -Reinstall Windows

3. drummerdimitri thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't be bothered to reinstall windows, isn't there an easier way to do it? Thanks!

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Again, the three step procedure I linked to above would be about the quickest without having to reinstall windows. OSX will not allow you to resize the BootCamp partition directly in Disk Utility like it can OSX partitions. The three step process I mentioned will minimize the time since you do not have to "reinstall" Windows- simply restore from a Windows disk image "clone".