need help with router question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seablue, Oct 27, 2007.

1. seablue macrumors regular

Ok... I have a eMac desk top and an ibook. Right now I have dial up - UGH! I'm sick of it. I signed up with a local company that is wireless ethernet. Not exactly satellite although they install a dish and there is a cable that goes into the desk top computer. I asked the sales lady if I'd need a router and she said yes -- for my laptop. But the girl at the place where I signed papers said no if my laptop has a built in wireless. Which ibook does have.
    So.... do I or don't I need a router? When I take my ibook to work with me (I work at a University) I just open up the ibook and there's my wireless signal and I'm on the net. Of course, it had to be configured when I first got it and I think the University is on an ethernet wireless system but I'm not sure.
    HELP....

2. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think you need to describe the service you are getting in better detail. But in general you will likely need a router. But note the a mac can act as a router. There is a box in the network prefferences (share connection via...." Search the help text n "share connection"

But with a router you do not have to leave one of the computers on 24x7.

4. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

If you go here: http://www.wirelessbeehive.com/index2.php
    that will describe it. It's one of those deals where they have towers in certain areas (alot of hard to reach areas IE: no DSL availability)
    and they come out to your home and install a dish or a small tower antenna which an ethernet wire is connected to either the computer or router from the dish/antenna.

P.S. I see you are from Redondo Beach -- ahhh... my home town and I miss it terribly. Has it grown much in the last 10 years? But I have horses now and I don't suppose there is much space for horses there :( Unless you have lots and lots of $$$
    So, for now, I"ll just have to visit the beach and live on my acreage.