Need help with running windows games on mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by shanelongway, Feb 27, 2010.

1. shanelongway macrumors newbie

Ok so I just purchased the mac book pro 13 inch with 4gb RAM memory, 250 gb hardrive, and some other stuff. It was 1,499. Ok so i also bought windows 7 and created a boot camp partition and have been running windows 7 just fine. So today i downloaded from EA games, Lord of the rings battle for middle earth 2 rise of the witch-king. Whenever i try to launch it tells me, make sure you have direct x 9 or higher, make sure your graphics card is good enough, and make sure you have graphic acceleration on. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card. And graphics acceleration/direct x are on.
    So what is the problem????????? Please someone help me, i bought my mac hoping to play PC games through boot camp on windows 7. If someone can help me, I will be very very very happy.

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Download and install the directx9 installer from MS.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Cheers,

3. shanelongway thread starter macrumors newbie

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Just try reinstalling anyway. On Vista this worked well for me. Haven't reinstalled those games on Win 7 yet. I can install them to test the same behavior but it's probably quicker to just try this first.

Cheers,

5. shanelongway thread starter macrumors newbie

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Have you installed the nvidia drivers from nvidia? Or are you using the bootcamp drivers?

I should think LOTR BFME would not require the dedicated GPU, however, I'd need to install it on my wife's iMac to be sure (she has the 21.5" with the 9400 only and Win7)

Cheers,

7. shanelongway thread starter macrumors newbie

I havent installed any kind of driver? do i have to? I thought my normal graphics card would transfer over to bootcamp win 7?
    And also thank you for your help

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You need to install the bootcamp 3.0 drivers from the snow leopard DVD. Manually insert the DVD while in windows and browse to the bootcamp drivers and run the setup. I also downloaded the nvidia drivers from nvidia after the bootcamp drivers were installed.

Cheers,

9. shanelongway thread starter macrumors newbie

could you give me a link for the nvidia drivers?

10. shanelongway thread starter macrumors newbie

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT IT RUNNING WHEN I PUT IN MY MAC DISC IN AND DOWNLOADED THE BOOT CAMP! AND NOW I CAN TAKE DISC'S OUT AND DO MAC CONTROLS WITH MY KEY BOARD !!!:)
    cheers!!

11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Good! Yes, installing Boot Camp Apple support makes using Windows on a Mac much better. But, the Snow Leopard DVD is only a "moment in time".
    So, to get the newest drivers (grfx cards like new drivers..):
    Install the latest and g8test nVidia drivers to make sure you have the best driver